SPOOKFREAK

Many Questions

Whats up my new friends. I feel very fortunant to have found this site. I posted the other day and my questions were answered by good answers and good spirits. Well i still have questions and probably will for a while so here they are. I decided to paint some lures last night. I purchased the neon yellow and neon orange of the lifetone laquer paints and when i spray them the paints runs on the lure. Non of the other lifetone or polytranspar paints have done that to me so far and i was wondering if anyone else have had that problem with these before. I live in Knoxville,Tennessee so go BIG ORANGE RIGHT and i am having problems finding the devcon 2 ton epoxy. Does anyone here have any sugestions at all. It would be helpful. You know i have been sealing my lures with Fabulon and i dip 3 to 4 times and i have been using testors laquer primer. I spray the primer straight from the can and it seems that it is too thick. Do i need to airbrush it on or is it ok to spray from the can. Ok im learning little by little to airbrush and the airbrush i bought has 10 tips in the case. I have an aztec a7778 airbrush and it has fine line tip,general detail tip, high flow tip,medium detail tip, some acrilic tips and some that i cant think of. i have been using the general detail tips for the painting and im having trouble with the lifetone paint drying before i can get the brush up to the lure. Thats another question WOW. Also do i need to sand the fabulon down twice or just the first time. I dipped some lures 3 times and it still seemed kind of thin. And the last question. I have bought some paint by looking on the net and from a color chart and when i finally get it im not happy with the colors. I bought the lite green and the medium green and the candy dark green from lifetone and even the neon orange really disapointed me. I need for someone to give me some good advice on some colors that i can buy that are not going to be questionable. I dont know i believe that i am having some sort of block on putting all the colors together and coming up with something to please me. I need to figure out some florescent colrs in the laquer line or can i use something else. Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Whats up my new friends. I feel very fortunant to have found this site. I posted the other day and my questions were answered by good answers and good spirits. Well i still have questions and probably will for a while so here they are. I decided to paint some lures last night. I purchased the neon yellow and neon orange of the lifetone laquer paints and when i spray them the paints runs on the lure. Non of the other lifetone or polytranspar paints have done that to me so far and i was wondering if anyone else have had that problem with these before. I live in Knoxville,Tennessee so go BIG ORANGE RIGHT and i am having problems finding the devcon 2 ton epoxy. Does anyone here have any sugestions at all. It would be helpful. You know i have been sealing my lures with Fabulon and i dip 3 to 4 times and i have been using testors laquer primer. I spray the primer straight from the can and it seems that it is too thick. Do i need to airbrush it on or is it ok to spray from the can. Ok im learning little by little to airbrush and the airbrush i bought has 10 tips in the case. I have an aztec a7778 airbrush and it has fine line tip,general detail tip, high flow tip,medium detail tip, some acrilic tips and some that i cant think of. i have been using the general detail tips for the painting and im having trouble with the lifetone paint drying before i can get the brush up to the lure. Thats another question WOW. Also do i need to sand the fabulon down twice or just the first time. I dipped some lures 3 times and it still seemed kind of thin. And the last question. I have bought some paint by looking on the net and from a color chart and when i finally get it im not happy with the colors. I bought the lite green and the medium green and the candy dark green from lifetone and even the neon orange really disapointed me. I need for someone to give me some good advice on some colors that i can buy that are not going to be questionable. I dont know i believe that i am having some sort of block on putting all the colors together and coming up with something to please me. I need to figure out some florescent colrs in the laquer line or can i use something else. Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL

DID YOU GET THE PAINT FROM WASCO . I USE THE SAME PAINTS . ARE YOUTHINING THEM OR ADDING A REDUCER

I purchased some paint from Wasco but i found a place close to knoxville that has lifetone in stock. The neon paint is lifetone and i do not have to thin them at all. Im new to all of this but i believe that i need to put some reducer so that it will not dry. I purchased the paint at Dixie Taxidermy in Rodgersville,Tennessee. Very nice people Too.

Edited by SPOOKFREAK

You can purchase the Devcon 2 ton at Ace Hardware. I get mine at the Ace Hardware on Kingston Pike in Bearden. Several other locations also carry it including the Ace Hardware on Clinton Hwy. They only have it in the small syringe package, but that helps with mixing.

I have a hard time finding d2t also. I have great luck with other brands as long as they dry slow (45-60 min.) and are clear in the package. I have been able to find water based paints in 2 oz. size for approx. .89 cents at craft shops and at Walmart in the craft section. Not trying to get you off lacquer, but water based works easier in my opinion. A bad green color may be just the ticket for some other pattern. I found some small air tight containers at AC Moore to store mixed colors and save for future lures. (These are mixes that didn't come out correct but could still be used on a different pattern. I usually use white for a base coat, but have had good luck using colors for some pattern base coats, you just have to watch the colors that will be going over the top of darker base colors. Mixing paint is a learning process or I wouldn't have so many future colors bottled and ready to go. Musky Glenn

i like to us the taxidermy paints as well. the best paints imo are the polytranspar for color and coverage. the only problem i have with polytranspar is they seem to evaporate if u leave them in the garage over the summer. i have not had any problems with them drying in the airbrush, i like the chocolate brown for chart/brown baits and the crome pearlescent for scales. u also may want to buy blue irridescent, silver pearl, bass belly wht. Watch the video of Tim Earick on youtube. He uses these paints with i believe waterbase and does well with the florescent yellow and green.

Spookfreak, I use lacquer paints and am careful not to mix them with other paints. I'm not at all sure but I seem to remember that lacquer and enamel paints do not get along together. If I read your post correctly you are mixing the two so that may be your problem. I'm sure someone will come along with the knowledge to verify if this is true or not.

Isn't the lifetone neon colors a transparent paint? If they are perhaps your spraying it on too thick. Generally if you want neon orange to really jump out then it is a combo of four different colors not just the neon orange; orange needs a white base coat [any neon colors needs a white base]; then a chartreuse, then transparent orange, then your neon orange. It will jump out and get ya with those steps. I suppose you could skip the chartreuse and transparent orange step but I like a nice blend and not a deer hunter orange look....

Well i sat down this weekend and painted some lures and i have noticed my progression everytime i paint. I do not mix enemal and laquer. Im trying to use laquer only but when i first started i bought some 1 shot sign paint and i made some plugs with it. I was not satisfied with the drying time. Also i sprayed some bright yellow enamel and when i got my laquer chocolate brown i sprayed it on top for a brown and yellow plug and it came out pretty good. I took all the enamel back though and i will not be useing it again. I have a body style of bait that i have never seen before and i have Bass fished for more than 20 years and i believe that it is going to be a good bait. Hey guys i am comfused with the concept of what types of laquers need this and that undercoat. Such as transparent and pearl and iredescent colors so if someone could let me know what the standard is i would appreciate it. Also i will post some pics soon. They may not be the best around but i am proud of myself. And with whats going on in my life it feels good to feel good about something.I have painted over 25 baits and i will probably never fish with them because of work but there mine. Hey Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Well i sat down this weekend and painted some lures and i have noticed my progression everytime i paint. I do not mix enemal and laquer. Im trying to use laquer only but when i first started i bought some 1 shot sign paint and i made some plugs with it. I was not satisfied with the drying time. Also i sprayed some bright yellow enamel and when i got my laquer chocolate brown i sprayed it on top for a brown and yellow plug and it came out pretty good. I took all the enamel back though and i will not be useing it again. I have a body style of bait that i have never seen before and i have Bass fished for more than 20 years and i believe that it is going to be a good bait. Hey guys i am comfused with the concept of what types of laquers need this and that undercoat. Such as transparent and pearl and iredescent colors so if someone could let me know what the standard is i would appreciate it. Also i will post some pics soon. They may not be the best around but i am proud of myself. And with whats going on in my life it feels good to feel good about something.I have painted over 25 baits and i will probably never fish with them because of work but there mine. Hey Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

White Base: Pearls, Irredescents, Transparents, yellow, orange, green, and your light colors

Colors like red or darker blues don't really matter that much.

I always use white for my base. When you use white you are getting the true hue of the color.

Thanks NET MAN. One stupid question maybe. Does white primer count as a Base or do i need to spray pure white paint first. Thanks and MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.:blink:;):wacko::worship:

White Base: Pearls, Irredescents, Transparents, yellow, orange, green, and your light colors

Colors like red or darker blues don't really matter that much.

I always use white for my base. When you use white you are getting the true hue of the color.