CARP104

Making Tungsten Weights

I want to look into having tungsten weights made in bulk of a custom design of mine I have been working on for some time. The problem is I don't know where to start, there really is not much info at all on this topic online.

I understand that one process used is compression forming tungsten powder in a mold then sintering it together. Where could I learn more about this process and the machines involved?

Are there any lathe cutters that would be reliable for cutting pure tungsten rod sections down into a bullet weight?

So another question is, who are companies such as tru-tungsten and river2seas using to manufacture their weights?

Any information here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't believe sintering is used with tungstun powder due to the fact it the weights and such aren't pure tungstun but I could be wrong. There are sintering services that will do work for you but the cost is tremendous.Even casting it is something we would never be able to do and finding a company to do it would be ok if you had that kind of money and were intending to sell a lot of product. There isn't many companies making tungstun weights and lures right now due to the cost of the material and the high investment in order to process it, good luck and let us know if you find out anything, from all the research I did it looks as if a 6 figure investment would be needed to even begin to have anything made from tungstun.

I don't think that tungsten fishing weights are 100% pure, but they are close. I am not completely sure about that however.

While a certain few big companies seem to be dominating the tungsten weight market, I do recall seeing some smaller companies offering tungsten weights as well.

Again any and all information is greatly appreciated on the subject

I want to look into having tungsten weights made in bulk of a custom design of mine I have been working on for some time. The problem is I don't know where to start, there really is not much info at all on this topic online.

I understand that one process used is compression forming tungsten powder in a mold then sintering it together. Where could I learn more about this process and the machines involved?

Are there any lathe cutters that would be reliable for cutting pure tungsten rod sections down into a bullet weight?

So another question is, who are companies such as tru-tungsten and river2seas using to manufacture their weights?

Any information here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There's no way that you could afford to do this (correctly) yourself. It would be a massive investment in equipment. This is best left for industrial companies.

I have a few companies that I've discussed producing some tungsten jig heads for me. They currently manufacture weights and they can (potentially) manufacture your weights as well (at least they were willing to manufacture my jig heads). One thing you need to know about tungsten, compared to lead, the molds are very expensive ($2K+).

Send me a PM if you want to discuss some more.

china baby just be prepared to spend 5K minimum per order painted or unpainted. or there is a us company buying from overseas with decnt pricing but they are currently o/s on alot of sizes and expecting another price increase/gouge soon!!

I have a buddy who tried to get into the tungsten worm weight business in a big way. He mortaged his house, over extended his business, etc, and put together a huge deal with a plant in China who just kept his money. He very nearly lost his house and barely kept his family together. I'm not saying don't do it, but you need to really get your ducks in a row. Maybe even take the time to actually meet some chinese regulators and work with some chinese brokerage houses so a plant manager like that will know if he defrauds you he could be executed. Is that amount of effort worth it for a $5-10-20-50K deal? How big of a deal would you have to put together

I buy things from China all the time through Ebay using PayPal, but I never buy anything for morre than I can afford to lose.

There is some huge money that can be made even after paying US Customs, but you have to cover all your bases.