Sniper

Cheapest Plastic Softener?

I need a gallon of plastic softener to use as worm oil for packaging. So, I'm guessing it doesn't need to be top shelf. Bear's has a gallon of Calhoun for $31.95 or I could order direct from M-F for over twice that much. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Troy

I would use worm oil (DINP) rather than softener. Why would you need a gallon if you are using it for bagging? You only need a couple of drops. There are roughly 120 drops in a teaspoon. 768 teaspoons in a gallon. That's allot! Anyhow you could use either worm oil or scent (which is made with worm oil). Softener, hardener, soft, medium, saltwater is all the same stuff. Just different grades as explained to me by Jeff from M-F.

I have tried two brands of worm oil and both of them evaporated after a couple days. I read on here that softener will not evaporate, and looks like it's cheaper than worm oil by the ounce. The worm oil worked fine for lubricating/bagging right away but the baits dried out after a day or two. It sounds like softener will coat the baits and they will always keep that "wet look" appearance in the bag. Plus, I could coat several thousand worms with the softener and come back to them a week later and package. Bascially for me, it all boils down to evaporation.

I would use worm oil (DINP) rather than softener. Why would you need a gallon if you are using it for bagging? You only need a couple of drops. There are roughly 120 drops in a teaspoon. 768 teaspoons in a gallon. That's allot! Anyhow you could use either worm oil or scent (which is made with worm oil). Softener, hardener, soft, medium, saltwater is all the same stuff. Just different grades as explained to me by Jeff from M-F.

Do you have any links ??

I have tried two brands of worm oil and both of them evaporated after a couple days. I read on here that softener will not evaporate, and looks like it's cheaper than worm oil by the ounce. The worm oil worked fine for lubricating/bagging right away but the baits dried out after a day or two. It sounds like softener will coat the baits and they will always keep that "wet look" appearance in the bag. Plus, I could coat several thousand worms with the softener and come back to them a week later and package. Bascially for me, it all boils down to evaporation.

You have a good point and Fred is correct. The oil is being absorbed. That was the one thing i hated. That is the reason i waited until the baits were ready to go out to bag them. You might just be better off with the softener. i stand corrected. i have heard negative things in the past about using softener. Try doing a search for it. i know there were several threads about it. Good luck!

Onlyonmonday.....I bought my worm oil from Bear. He had the best price per gallon.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So, should I assume that my plastic baits are absorbing the worm oil but they will not absorb the softener? Because if they absorb both the oil and softener, then I'm still in the same boat.

What are companies like Culprit using that their baits are still lubricated in the bag after being on the shelf for a year? I have a similar worm and they're bone dry in a couple days.

Troy

*UPDATE*

I tried the plastic softener and got the same results as I did with the worm oil. The plastic worms are bone dry in a day or two after coating. A friend suggested I try silicone oil to achieve the "wet shiny look" in the bag that will last for long periods of time. Does anyone have any experience with silicone oil?

DINP is Softener its NOT worm oil

worm oil is a completely different ball game,

worm oil will evaporate and it will turn yellow as there is NO UV inhibators in worm oil.

worm oil is also alot thinner than Softener aka DINP

Delw

Ok Guy's I did not belive this at first but it does work (i guess) A old timmer I know said he used to spray his baits and soft plastic with WD 40. I thought no way. Can't be good for the fish. So being very curious about this I took a new bait and sprayed some wd 40 on it put it on a plastic coffee can lid and let it sit for a bit. Well about two weeks later I remembered it and when I checked it, it was still shinny and wet. Hum I thought. so I went to the wd 40 web site and sure as shit right there in black and white it says can be used as a fish attractant or used on baits to keep the looking new! Hum Who would have thought. Just my 2 cents worth! I would still go with the worm oil. It does not smell!

More than a few folks have used WD-40 for fish attractant over the years. I think I read somewhere (maybe here on TU) that it contains fish oils.

www.novalures.com

Taken directly from the WD40 website

"What a Fish story!Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.

Fact:Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures withWD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish."

http://www.wd40.com/...ends-fun-facts/

Edited by SHK

Well I guess it is time to give a secret up. I went through this problem about 9 years ago and the answer is 100% pure conola oil. It is scent free and will never dry out. and you can add any oil based scent to it. I actually get complaints that my scent is too strong. I have bags of baits on the wall that have been there 2+ years and they look as good as they did the day I bagged them. It also will not affect any of your colors including clear and whites, and did I mention it only costs around $7 a gallon at your local grocery store or at least it did the last time I bought a couple of gallons.

Edited by bass100

Troy, plastic softener and plasticizer are the same thing. Plasticizer is one of the components that makes up plastisol. Right now plasticizer is in such high demand that it's created a shortage. China is the main culprit on this one, so finding a cheap plastic softener is going to be hard to do right now and from the way things are looking prices aren't heading down anytime soon. I know if the baits sit for a while bulk packaged, after some time instead of soaking in it will start leeching back out. I imagine with things like they are right now that all companies are being very careful to only use the amount of plasticizer needed. Hope things are going well for you. Are you catching any fish yet?