Attitude

Best Plastisol?

Three-G Corporation is a company out of Tennessee. If you can make it work for you, you will save a bunch of money because it's the cheapest plastic on the market by far (about 8 bucks per gallon last time I checked). Personally, I had too many problems with it. Poor consistency, burned easily, the plastic bubbled, and also had a strong odor. In my opinion, not many good points other than the price. For quality and price, I give a nod to Calhoun. MF is dynamite quality, but the price will kill you.

Chris

I personally despise 3-G as it is the only plastic I could get locally and I have had many problems with it, from the nasty plastic stink of it, bubbles and foam at working temp and inconsistent batches of it from gallon to gallon. The hardener settles out in about 24 hours too. I give it a hefty thumbs down.

I like Lurecraft #536 a lot and have no problems with it except for the price after the brutal freight charges. The texture is about perfect out of the container for what I make, which are mostly finesse baits and they need to be pretty soft.

My new favorite has to be Calhoun. The price is right and it even behaves in a Lee pot. Try that with 3-G and you'll be reminded of those high school science fair Volcanoes. I just started using it in the last couple of weeks but so far I am impressed with the quality and ease of use. After about 300 worms I can say I am going to stick with Calhoun.

Crawfish: As far as claims that Calhoun is not as durable as 3-G, that would be totally dependent on the quantities of the additives you are using that affect both consistency of the pour and the durometer of the cured plastisol. Unless you are using TONS of scent, every batch of 3G I've used smells like a tire fire :censored: . Salt content and other factors also contribute to "durability".

I guess it really boils down to what you are used to using and like.

All great points Z.

Fish n Fool......didn't mean to start a war here. :lol:

Also didn't realize 3-G is only selling in 55-gallon drums now. It's been awhile since I've checked. Like I said, my opinion is that 3-G is not worth it, regardless of price. If they're getting more for their plastic than Calhoun, then hats off to 'em! There are a couple of HUGE companies who use nothing but 3-G, and they have no problems selling their baits. So like Z said.....it all depends on what works for you.

Keep in mind that we're just trying to help fellas make an accurate decision on their choice of plastic.

Chris

I forgot to point out the most annoying aspect of that stuff, it shrinks something like 30% in the molds. If you are using a 2 piece mold and you look away for a second there will be a nice huge void at the top of the mold where the funnel was full right before that. I don't have that problem with 536 or Calhoun ever, fill that puppy to the top and forget about it. I try to avoid anything that slows down the pouring process, and if it's the base product forget it., I'd rather remelt used plastics than use that junk. If you guys are using it with good results, I'd like to know what amount of hardener/softener you are using and how much heat stabilizer. . . I even have a gallon sitting here so maybe someone can convince me that it isn't really manure substitute....