vapermedic

Swim Jigs

I'd like to hear what everyone feels is the best swim jig head on the market. I really like the heads Bassdozer uses but I can't find a similar mold and he's not interested in selling them unpainted or unskirted. The poison tail from do-it comes closest but not quite the same. Anyone try the Boss swim jigs? It doesn't really matter to me whether I pour my own jigheads or find someone that makes them and will sell them unpainted at a reaonable price. I'm most interested in designing and tying my own skirts although I'm not sure if it will be with thread or wire. I like the idea of using some flashabou for added flash...does this require anything special with regards to tying? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated...btw, I'm not looking to sell just design some for tournament use for myself and some friends. I pour a lot of plastic (myself and friends) but really had a lot of luck with swim jigs last year!

If you want to pour your own the grass jig from do-it makes a nice swim jig, I make swim jigs using a Do-it Snootie jig, it makes a nice compact bait that really comes through grass nice and by adding a split tail or curly tail grub as a trailer makes it that much more effective. The Boss swim jig is a nice design if you want to buy them.

I will have to agree with Smalljaw. The three jigs that I use for swimming, is the Snootie Jig, Poison Tail and the Grass jig. These are in the order of my preferance. I have had so much success with the Snootie jig that it is the first thing I throw. Also I like to stay on the small side of the head with a trailer. I think the slow fall and the trailer is the ticket.

As far as tying goes. That is a personal choice. I believe that there is no substitute for thread. (JMO) If you use upholstery thread, or uni-thread you can really tie tight without breaking the thread and it will make those skirt strands pop up.

I can't give you advice about any other jigs because I don't use them. Hope this helps some.

I forgot about the question regarding skirts. If you are going to make the skirts for your swin jigs you'll need a vise and a bobbin if tying with thread, just a vise and some pliers if using wire, adding flashabou or mylar doesn't require special tools but it does take a little extra time because unlike silicone or rubber skirt material, flashabou comes in loose stands, good luck.

Thanks for the info! I see the snootie jig is favored by you both but it leads me to a question. I thought most swim jig designs used the 30 degree hook....which the poison tail and grass use. I see the snootie uses a 60 degree...do you see a difference? Do they run true the majority of the time? Also, if I used thread, what's a bobbin and why is it needed?

Forgot to add...what size uni thread would be used for bass jigs?

Edited by vapermedic

Thanks for the info! I see the snootie jig is favored by you both but it leads me to a question. I thought most swim jig designs used the 30 degree hook....which the poison tail and grass use. I see the snootie uses a 60 degree...do you see a difference? Do they run true the majority of the time? Also, if I used thread, what's a bobbin and why is it needed?

Forgot to add...what size uni thread would be used for bass jigs?

I don't have a problem with the Snootie jig. I use it for swimming and bouncing off the bottom. To me it's a confidence thing. You can swim an Arky or a football head if you chose, as long as you catch fish who is to say what is right or wrong. Yes some jigs like the football are better suited for rocks. But a friend of mine swims them and he does quite well.

A bobbin is a tool that holds the small spools of thread in place. Also it has a tube which the thread goes through. On the tag end of the threrad, is where you tie around the jig body. The bobbin holds your spool of thread with the thread coming out of the tube , so you can tie and make wraps on your skirt.

I will e-mail you the thread size I use as it is easier to explain and show you through e-mails.

What I like about the Snootie for swimming is the way it falls and the hook position actually allows it to come through grass well as the knot has a little bit of the head in front of it. The bait has a little different fall than most jigs and when swimming the jig I tend to get a lot of follows, especially smallmouth and when the fish start following the bait I let it drop and most of the time it results in a strike, in fact I like the snootie so much it is the only jig I make for swimming.

I am 50/50 on the Snootie and Poisontail. I tie them and swim both of them. I will say that the Snootie comes thru grass like nothing I have ever fished before, and my saying about the Snootie is this..."When you fish it in grass, the only thing you will feel is the bite itself!" Don't get me wrong: the P-tail is an awesome all around jig, but for swimming, and especially in and around grass...the Snootie is superior! I agree with thread tying...I can customize my "flare" or "pop" just by the way I wrap the skirt and more importantly...where I wrap it! ;)

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

swim jig 2-21-11.jpg

post-14557-0-71656900-1298749545_thumb.jpg

I will have to agree with Smalljaw. The three jigs that I use for swimming, is the Snootie Jig, Poison Tail and the Grass jig. These are in the order of my preferance. I have had so much success with the Snootie jig that it is the first thing I throw. Also I like to stay on the small side of the head with a trailer. I think the slow fall and the trailer is the ticket.

As far as tying goes. That is a personal choice. I believe that there is no substitute for thread. (JMO) If you use upholstery thread, or uni-thread you can really tie tight without breaking the thread and it will make those skirt strands pop up.

I can't give you advice about any other jigs because I don't use them. Hope this helps some.

I only swim those that I make and I have sold off my molds except poison tail and banana. Both of them swim quite well.

I only swim those that I make and I have sold off my molds except poison tail and banana. Both of them swim quite well.

The grass jig has been working real well as a swim jig, but I'm also starting to like the smaller Arkie styles. They run real true and deflect and come through the sparse grass pretty well.

I am 50/50 on the Snootie and Poisontail. I tie them and swim both of them. I will say that the Snootie comes thru grass like nothing I have ever fished before, and my saying about the Snootie is this..."When you fish it in grass, the only thing you will feel is the bite itself!" Don't get me wrong: the P-tail is an awesome all around jig, but for swimming, and especially in and around grass...the Snootie is superior! I agree with thread tying...I can customize my "flare" or "pop" just by the way I wrap the skirt and more importantly...where I wrap it! ;)

That's a beautiful looking jig!!