RiverMan

Lure Dryer Motor

Anyone found a good reliable variable speed motor for a lure dryer? I need to built another dryer and was hoping to not have to pay over a $100 like I did for the last one.

thx.

Jed

Hi. As well, I am on the way to build a dryer for my toys. For time being, my plan is to start this mega building project using a microwave oven step motor. This motor is cheap, has huge power, compact and silent as grass.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/373993272/Microwave_oven_motor.jpg

Just one thing to keep on mind – rpm. They are not so speedy Gonzales, around 2 – 6 rpm if I am right, but they do business.

So, what is your preferences regarding rpm?

I want to be able to control the speed with a rheostat (potentiator) so that I can dial in the correct speed. I found a good motor online but again it's more than a hundred dollars. Sigh.

Jed

Jed -- how about a windscreen wiper motor!! lots of torque, wired through a 12V rheostat (dash light dimmer) and hook it up to a battery, battery charger, or if you heve one a transformer, they only use about 2 Amp/hr-- Get a 3 speed motor (about 15-20 & 25RPM) and wind it down--In desperation I made a coffee grinder out of one recently, a bit slow for this, but good.

Pete

Edited by hazmail

Good idea Pete. I was just going to suggest a DC motor of some type. As far as I know all you have to do to regulate the speed of a DC motor is change the amperage it receives. And if you didn't want to run it off a battery you could always use an AC/DC converter plugged into a wall socket. I know I've run DC motors before by hooking up the leads of my portable welding machine to one and by increasing or decreasing the amps we could regulate the speed of the DC motor.

Ben

Good idea Pete. I was just going to suggest a DC motor of some type. As far as I know all you have to do to regulate the speed of a DC motor is change the amperage it receives. And if you didn't want to run it off a battery you could always use an AC/DC converter plugged into a wall socket. I know I've run DC motors before by hooking up the leads of my portable welding machine to one and by increasing or decreasing the amps we could regulate the speed of the DC motor.

Ben

'White man magic', never thought of using a welder, but I don't own one.

Pete

'White man magic', never thought of using a welder, but I don't own one.

Pete

Now before anybody runs out and hooks up a DC motor to their welding machine be sure it's a welder that puts out DC power. If you try using one of the "crackerbox" units (as we call them) that puts out AC power you will end up frying your DC motor. :( Didn't think about that until I read Pete's last post.

Edited by RayburnGuy

When I was looking a $100 would have been a deal. I'm building some really big stuff so weight is an issue. I got one for nothing from a used up bar glass washer. Motor turns just perfect and you'll also find a chain and a couple of sprockets.

Anyone found a good reliable variable speed motor for a lure dryer? I need to built another dryer and was hoping to not have to pay over a $100 like I did for the last one.

thx.

Jed

ok, call me cheap, but I decided to use my cordless drill. I've attached a pdf file showing how it is set up. I would say that the parts cost me under 15 dollars (not including the drill) and it works great. :rolleyes:

Sorry PDF didn't attach...TURNTABLE FOR PAINTING Model (1).pdf

TURNTABLE FOR PAINTING Model (1).pdf

Sorry PDF didn't attach...TURNTABLE FOR PAINTING Model (1).pdf

That'll work.

Keep an eye on the motor. You may find that it gets very hot. Some motors just don't like turning slow for long periods, others are fine. If yours gets hot, you could make a pulley wheel, say 10:1 ratio. This would allow your drill to turn faster and happier.

I have turned lures directly with a drill before and had no problem.

Dave

Hey Jed,

Just thinking out loud here but how about a cheap RC car motor? I remember as a teenager that some of my first motors were on a budget and about $10 or so. You could dial up any speed you want.

This is for Vodkaman or anyone that wants to try and build one...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_118780/anchors_118780/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#118780

Edited by Matt Moreau

Hey Jed,

Just thinking out loud here but how about a cheap RC car motor? I remember as a teenager that some of my first motors were on a budget and about $10 or so. You could dial up any speed you want.

This is for Vodkaman or anyone that wants to try and build one...

http://www.rcunivers...r/tm.htm#118780

Matt, Thanks for the link. Interesting project, no requirement at the moment, but stored for future reference. Never considered making my own motor before, but do-able.

Dave

I have 2 both are 12v DC worm gear wiper motors I have them ran through an 12v inverter that has an reostat built in it "not cheap" they were left overs from an older R&D project. If the cash is no object Id go with an NPC robotics motot they have alot to choose from and some can be bought with different gear ratio's.

If it helps this is how I made mine. All the parts besides the wood are from a treadmill. A buddy was throwing it out and I pulled the rollers, motor and the electronics that make it all work. The motor is variable speed down to about 1rpm. I have it set at like 18-19rpm right now. It's probably a bit overkill but I have about $2.00 in the whole thing.

23.jpg25.jpg24.jpg

Been mentioned earlier. But I bought a rotessiere motor for a grill at wal mart for $25. I then purchased a roll of foam from the fabric area $17 and cut into 10 inch circles( i did 6). push those over the rod supplied with motor and clamp together. Ive had up to 20 baits turning at once could do more if needed. does great job holds baits real well. Havent taken any pics yet but if someone wants me to post some i can.

Folks I purchased a gear motor from Mcmaster-carr for around $25.00 .I just mounted it to a 3/4'X3" piece of pine and cut out the center for the motor spindle, I also had to make an axle to be able to attach it to a square piece of plywood that held the alligator clips for my lures. The motor i purchased runs at 6 RPm. Dave

http://www.mcmaster....-motors/=b2ap9p

Scroll down to AC sychronous Gear motors

(sp)

Edited by Diesel Fitter

If it helps this is how I made mine. All the parts besides the wood are from a treadmill. A buddy was throwing it out and I pulled the rollers, motor and the electronics that make it all work. The motor is variable speed down to about 1rpm. I have it set at like 18-19rpm right now. It's probably a bit overkill but I have about $2.00 in the whole thing.

23.jpg25.jpg24.jpg

Been mentioned earlier. But I bought a rotessiere motor for a grill at wal mart for $25. I then purchased a roll of foam from the fabric area $17 and cut into 10 inch circles( i did 6). push those over the rod supplied with motor and clamp together. Ive had up to 20 baits turning at once could do more if needed. does great job holds baits real well. Havent taken any pics yet but if someone wants me to post some i can.

I would like to see a picture of it if you don't mind. What holds the baits in place? Are you sliding them between the foam circles?

Folks I purchased a gear motor from Mcmaster-carr for around $25.00 .I just mounted it to a 3/4'X3" piece of pine and cut out the center for the motor spindle, I also had to make an axle to be able to attach it to a square piece of plywood that held the alligator clips for my lures. The motor i purchased runs at 6 RPm. Dave

Dave, it sounds like you are stuck with one speed or did you find a way to control the RPM's?

Edited by RiverMan