barr5150

Venting Your Spray Area?

I use the old furnace filter and box fan method, but I'm not spraying for extended periods of time. I'm also only spraying Createx, which is water-based. I feel safe/healthy enough with that solution for now. Once the weather warms up I have a basement window that'll get modified to provide a better solution.

I just did a smoke test with a medium size axial fan. It worked great. The motor was only 38 Watt, 0.22 Amperes, but the smoke was moving horizontal.

As long as you are working within a box or cowl, to restrict the airflow, I don't think you need a big motor. If you can only find smaller axial fans, then you could mount two or more. They are cheap and readily available. Check out electronics components stores. They usually have a box of second hand fans.

As mentioned previously, beware of solvents and motors. I have no idea if axial fans are spark proof.

Dave

I dealt with this very problem a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of having to wait for a decent day to be able to paint outside. I ended up with a bilge pump blower motor of the type used to vent the bilge on inboard boats. These are meant to vent gasoline fumes so they should be safe for all types of paint fumes and they are pretty strong and move a good bit of air. I spent about thirty-five bucks for the motor and enough four inch flex tubing to get the air outside the barn where I paint. It works great the only problem is that the motor is 12v so I hook up a battery charger to power it. I use automobile lacquer paint so I don't care to breathe the fumes more than I can help.

Hey i spray Laquer and I built my own spray bppth out of wood and i found a central vaccum out of a house and i have the Hose tied to the bottom of the box and i open the window and put the exhaust hose out the widow and it has worked graet for me and i also sand with it too. GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.:D [ quote name=Whitedog' timestamp='1297912093' post='161561]

I dealt with this very problem a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of having to wait for a decent day to be able to paint outside. I ended up with a bilge pump blower motor of the type used to vent the bilge on inboard boats. These are meant to vent gasoline fumes so they should be safe for all types of paint fumes and they are pretty strong and move a good bit of air. I spent about thirty-five bucks for the motor and enough four inch flex tubing to get the air outside the barn where I paint. It works great the only problem is that the motor is 12v so I hook up a battery charger to power it. I use automobile lacquer paint so I don't care to breathe the fumes more than I can help.

I have been thinking about an in-line booster fan made by fantech that is used to vent air from a clothes dryer. The nice thing about it is it fits dryer hose perfectly.

You could probably also make a shopvac work pretty easily if you had a way to extend the hose out a window.

jed. shop vacs are time bombs. they are bad sparkers. guys try hot water tank vent motors. they are fastco motors with a squirrel cage.