jstreun36

Hard Bait Swap Again?

There was no interest in the swap last year when I set it up so I never tried again. If we can muster an interest in a swap, I'd be more than happy to try again.

I would be more than interested in a bait swap, however i have never participated in one. And all i make is custom tied jigs and plastic trailers for them. So what all is involved in one of these swaps?

nlo85,

I don't want to sound as though I'm putting you off because I"m not so please don't take my response the wrong way. It's easier for me to refer you to another post rather retype it all (especially since I don't type very well). If you will will read the post in the Lure Swap section titled TU Lure Exchange, it will explain the rules and procedure. If you have any questions after that, I'll try to answer them.

Gene

No, typically a crankbait swap would not include jigs. However, if we had a swap and everyone in the swap was agreeable to including jigs, it could happen. A person swapping jigs would have to include more than one jig though to make the swap fair to those swapping crankbaits.

Gene

No, typically a crankbait swap would not include jigs. However, if we had a swap and everyone in the swap was agreeable to including jigs, it could happen. A person swapping jigs would have to include more than one jig though to make the swap fair to those swapping crankbaits.

Gene

I absolutly agree!!! I would put probably 5 or so jigs in per person....more or less depending on what others opinions on it would be.

come on crank painters. I read tons of post on here of guys starting out and the more experenced guys as well. what im saying is to me its not about how good or bad you are let just have some fun looking at each others work. hell if you dont like the baits you get repaint them. im very far away from being one of the best ive seen on this forum but i like painting and think that most guys that would recieve them would use them. I have a blue gill pattern im catching alot of fish on. lets share our work. i have no secrets but then again i dont sell mine i use them. so my last shout out. Need 10 painters ( newbies or oldies) that want to swap some baits.

you should open the swap to everyone. i just started painting crankbaits so i'm nowhere near as good as everyone else, but i also make my own soft plastics which are just as good as the store bought. i have done swaps on other forums that have been open to whatever and i have gotten inline spinners and several types of jigs. plus with the added types of lures its an even bigger suprise as to what your going to get.

Jesse1378,

The rules aren't meant to restrict people. They're there to provide guidlines. Typically people don't want to swap a crankbait for a pack of worms or a jig or spinnerbait for obvious reasons. However, if the people that make jigs, worms, or spinnerbaits wanted to "sweeten the pot", so to speak, and increase the amount of worms, etc. to make it fairer to cost of a crankbait, I'm sure that everyone would be happy.

As to your comment about not being as good as everyone else when it comes to making crankbaits: it doesn't make a difference. Everybody has to start somewhere. Other people, like myself, just want to see what everyone else is making. I have handmade lures from all over the world. Some of them are as good as any factory made lure and some are nowhere near that good but I like them all.

Gene

I cannot see how a mixed swap can work so that everyone gets a fair deal. If you can get an agreement with everyone, then that is a go, but keep in mind, there's about two hours work goes into a crank. Figure how many worms you can pour in that time and start there. No reason why you could not start a plastics swap or a jig swap.

I have no axe to grind here, as postal costs prevent me from taking part in such an event, $41.90 for a half kilo box. I can't afford to shell out that kind of money and I am sure no one else would want to either.

Dave

I think a swap would be fun. Lets post something in the hard baits section. I bet a lot of people dont even look down here thats why there isnt much interest, but a sticky or something in the hardbaits forum i bet would stir a lot of interest.

I agree though that a mixed bag swap would be tough. I dont want to take anything away from any builders but I dont know if I would want to contribute. I make a lot of my own jigs and stuff as it is and I would rather swap apples for apples then apples for oranges. If anything we should make a 1 signup form for each category..... mixed, cranks and swimbaits. You could even dive deeper into a swimbait category on its own... I mean I make a bunch of styles and the complexity that can go into one should be denoted somewhere. It might be a bummer if you carve a masterpiece and put fibet fins and such with a great paint job only to get a hunk of wood that is has barely anything done to it. But a crankbait one would be fun!!! Although now that I think more about it we may have to break that down into custom made and then custom painted... A lot of people only paint KO's and dont build their lures. So for the ones that actually put the time in to build and paint would suck to just get a KO...Sorry for rambling but got me a bit excited!!!

0ee77973.jpg

ced51ed5.jpg

c85d9755.jpg

fd817d6b-1.jpg

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll try another crankbait swap. We'll see if we can get some interest in it this time. If not, we can always swap lures among ourselves.

Gene

im in. not only would it be fun, but it would also be a good learning experience to look at others creations and maybe borrow some ideas

I was browsing this site and thought I would join. This topic seems pretty cool. I saw last year not too many people seemed interested in a swap. I wouldn't mind swapping with another member if anyone is interested. I mainly make cranks ranging from 4" to about 8". I would mainly be interested in getting another members opinion on how I have weighted my lures. I am no expert but I think this swap idea is a good way for me to hone in on my lure making skills :)

I just found and joined this forum. I'm on another forum were I've participated in over a dozen flytying swaps in the past couple of years and it has not only been enjoyable, I learned a lot examining the flies others have tied. As I also carve and make crankbaits, I sought out this site and joined. I'd participate in a swap. I think there should be a distinction of what the swap is about. No problem with defining it, there's room for all sorts of swaps... jigs, worms... even break it down to topwater, etc. So if a hardbait swap is a go, count me in!