bigbrown

best base coat?

For most woods I use Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss for a seal coat (just follow the directions on the can). After that I spray a couple or three coats of gloss white from a rattle can, lightly sanding with 400 grit between coats. Just follow the directions on the can for recommendations for topcoating, normally something like "recoat within 2 hours, or after 48". Now you're ready for your inner artist to do its thing. I normally wait a week for a good paint cure before finishing with a coat of Devcon 2-ton epoxy; there are plenty of posts on the ol' devcon procedure, if you're not quite down with the process yet. With balsa I seal first with the same Devcon instead of the Minwax, but then proceed the same way to finish. Practice makes close to perfect. Hope this helps, Dean

I know this thread has been dead for almost a decade (lol) but I was just looking into the Miniwax Polycrylic and just found this post with everything else I wanted to know :yay:  Excellent info Lure--Prof!!!  Sweet and Simple!

I just caught the fever and have been looking for the proper way to finish my lures once shaped.I'm using Bass Wood and I'm Curious how many coats of Miniwax do you like to use before primer?Also is there any special brand or kind of primer you like to use?

Thank you!

Dave

• Like 1