mainbutter

Reel Seat A Bit Loose?

So i have a favorite rod of mine, a gander mountain medium action spinning rod, where the reel seat has come a little bit loose and twists around the blank (or whatever it is supposed to be anchored to on the handle). This makes for pretty uncomfortable fishing as casting has the tendency to make the reel come out

I don't know a darn thing about rod building, so I don't know how reel seats are supposed to be attached anyways. Is this a repairable problem? Anyone know if I took it back into gander if they would fix it?

If I did not sufficiently describe my problem, let me know

Thanks!

So i have a favorite rod of mine, a gander mountain medium action spinning rod, where the reel seat has come a little bit loose and twists around the blank (or whatever it is supposed to be anchored to on the handle). This makes for pretty uncomfortable fishing as casting has the tendency to make the reel come out

I don't know a darn thing about rod building, so I don't know how reel seats are supposed to be attached anyways. Is this a repairable problem? Anyone know if I took it back into gander if they would fix it?

If I did not sufficiently describe my problem, let me know

Thanks!

I'd take it back to Gander and see if they'll exchange it for you. If not, get a small syringe like the kind used to give babies and toddlers liquid medicine. Buy some Loctite 60 minute epoxy- anything with a short cure time will freeze up in the syringe. Drill two holes in the reel seat, one at each end in front of the hood so that the reel foot will cover them when you're done. DO NOT DRILL INTO YOUR ROD BLANK!!!! Make sure you just drill through the seat. Mix your epoxy and fill the syringe. Squirt the epoxy through the holes. You may have to shoot some in both ends, it depends on what kind of arbor that was used when the rod was built. When you get the space filled, align the reel seat and lay the rod so that the holes are pointing straight up. Allow to sit for at least 12 hours and then go fishing!

jeremy