Big Boy Baits

How To Paint Jigheads?

Just out of curiosity why don't you want to use powder paint. There is no muss or fuss?

Anyway I guess you can use vinyl paint, however the smell is really bad. I stopped using it because I got really bad headaches and I would recommend a respirator. Also I guess you can dip the heads in testors model paint. I've never done that so I can't tell you how the durability is. Finally you can dip jigs in blade dip and ink, but color selection is minimal and you would have to clearcoat the jigs to keep the colors from washing out. Maybe others will post here and give you some ideas.

The only paint I know of that works for dipping besides powder is vinyl, the only problem is what cadman has already told you, the fumes are bad so you need a well ventilated area and for dipping you'll need a drying rack with some sort of toweling to catch the drops, it is just the way vinyl works.

I can see why you don't want to use powder paint. When the weed guard gets hot it starts to fray and melt. You can tape up the fibers and it won't fray apart. Powder paint is the best way to go through. Quick and easy, one coat will do it.

Another method to use is epoxy paint. Lure Craft (if it is still in business) makes some great epoxy paint. This is what I used when I made lures for my business. Then the powder paint came along and I haven't looked back.

I painted my own weedless bass jigs with epoxy so the hook eye wouldn't get plugged up with paint.

If you use powder paint you must use a system to hold the jigs up in the air so the paint runs down the hook and not deform the jig head. A wooden row of posts sticking up with alligator clips on the end works. I made 1000 spinnerbaits and buzzbaits a week using this system. My living rubber skirts were all hand tied...no pre-made or silicone skirts in those days. I increased my production by 5x when powder paint came out. Good for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, but not weedless bass jigs with fiber guard weed guards. Those still had to be hand painted. While the spinner and buzz baits were cooking, I painted the jigs.

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

2zthmq0_th.jpg

post-26045-0-78312200-1299024365_thumb.jpg

I want to paint jigheads, but I do not want powder paint. Is there any way to "dip" the heads in paint? I am brand new at this, so thanks for any help!

Alright...here is what I did: I went to a discount tool supply and bought a load of 1/8" and 3/16" CLEAR shrink tubing...cut 1" lengths of the 1/8" and 2" lengths of the 3/16"....now here is what you do.... force the 1/8" pieces onto the hook eye tight against the head. lightly moisten the weedguards with uh..spit and slide the 3/16 over the weedguard....heat the jig head just enough to melt the paint and swish through the powder....let the painted head cool so the tubing stiffens up...remove the tubing and wah-lah...no paint in the hook eye...and no frayed weedguards...works for me! Use a paint brush and clear it with the water based epoxy and you will have a gorgeous durable jighead!

It worked I'm back in!! Vinyl is a great dipping paint. It is not plastic friendly so it will have to be seal coated. If you use the CS vinyl paints you need to use the seal coat and not the clear gloss to make them worm proof. I will say that I like powder painting but if the hook eye is closed with paint after you dip it you will have drips. The trick is to have the jig at the right temp to work with powders. Not all the powders cure at the same temp and I like the way the colors blend. Vinyl dipping is easy and if the fumes don't bother you I think it is more user friendly.

I just want to say that I was here before. I had a computer crash and because of email address and username and multiple tries to get it resolved I had to sign in with a different user name and email address. I tried to do everything by the book and contact administrators but it would not work. My previous screen name was DDSBYDAY and as far as I know I was not banned or caused any problems to the site. Is there any way I could go back to the way it was before the crash or do I start over? Nothing like being told your email, screen name is being used already and you can't contact admin because you are not a registered user.

I just want to say that I was here before. I had a computer crash and because of email address and username and multiple tries to get it resolved I had to sign in with a different user name and email address. I tried to do everything by the book and contact administrators but it would not work. My previous screen name was DDSBYDAY and as far as I know I was not banned or caused any problems to the site. Is there any way I could go back to the way it was before the crash or do I start over? Nothing like being told your email, screen name is being used already and you can't contact admin because you are not a registered user.

If you email or PM Jerry (Redg8r), I am sure he will be able to fix it for you.

Dave

It worked I'm back in!! Vinyl is a great dipping paint. It is not plastic friendly so it will have to be seal coated. If you use the CS vinyl paints you need to use the seal coat and not the clear gloss to make them worm proof. I will say that I like powder painting but if the hook eye is closed with paint after you dip it you will have drips. The trick is to have the jig at the right temp to work with powders. Not all the powders cure at the same temp and I like the way the colors blend. Vinyl dipping is easy and if the fumes don't bother you I think it is more user friendly.

Wow ! What a coincidence. The exact same thing happened to me yesterday on a different site. I had to register again as a new member under a different email , new user id, and new password. I have sent a request to the administrators of the site twice asking them to fix me up so I can get back on using my old sign in info but no luck so far. When I tried to login under my old login, I would have to select the lost password option and then I would get a message saying a new password had been emailed to me. When I check my email all I would get is a link to reset the password but you would have to login first to do that. ARRgh how frustrating.

Still waiting.

The only paint I know of that works for dipping besides powder is vinyl, the only problem is what cadman has already told you, the fumes are bad so you need a well ventilated area and for dipping you'll need a drying rack with some sort of toweling to catch the drops, it is just the way vinyl works.

You might like the results with Plasti-Dip. Used it back before powder came out, and well before Jann's started selling it (back around 1994). Powder is pretty much the way to go otherwise, just use one of the tubing cover ups for the guards. Vinyl sprays way better than it dips, requires at least 3 coats for a nice look (white, 1-2 of color, clear), then it chips off after a handful of rocks.

Our annual white bass run is about to start, and the average life expectancy of a jig is less than a half hour.

I'm satisfied using Krylon Industrial Enamel. I spay a white base coat, and then the colored topcoat. I have a piece of cardboard that I use as a spray shield and do 20-30 at a time.

I've done this for years, and the jigs catch fish as well, or better usually, than the commercially prepared jigs.

I also powder coat, that takes too much time for the use that I have.

Thanks so much! I think I will go with powder paint now. I thought it was harder than it really is.

I have the Do-It Football head that has the 90 degree hook, weedless of course. I put the finishing nail in so I have the hole. I drill the hole out to 1/8", powder paint, clean the hook eye off and cook it. When that is done I clean out the hole, if you do it before you bake itll chip the paint, so do it afterwards. Then I use the loctite super glue gel or some epoxy I got from harbor freight to glue in my guards. The epoxy I wait over night, the super glue gel I wait an hour before I put the skirts on.