jeb

Painting cranks?

Hi guys,

I'm starting to paint my first poured crankbait. I'm using lacquer paint from spray cans because I don't have an airbrush yet, but hope to in the not to distant future. I have some questions regard spray painting lacquer paint from cans. Can I paint over the base coat once it is dry or is it possible for these colors to bleed? What is the process when using spray cans? I just want to do some simple patterns to start with. I planned on using devcon 2-ton epoxy as the protective clearcoat, does this sound sufficient or is there a better method?

Thanks,

jeb

If your undercoat is white lacquer then you will have no problems. If it is water based then you may get by with a dry shoot. But that might be hard to do with a can. The thinner in the lacquer can could eat the undercoat if you shoot it wet. Lacquer will dry very quickly. If you shoot thin then it is dry almost instantly. If you shoot thick then I would wait about 10 to 15 min. between coats. Devcon works great as a clearcoat on any type of paint.

Skeeter

Thanks Skeeter,

I just needed some reassurance on what I'm doing. I've just been doing a lot of trial and error on my own before I found this website and wasting a lot of time and effort. With everyone's feedback I think I've figured out how to do some of these processes.

Thanks again,

jeb