mjonez23

Who Has The Best Plastic?

Im looking at starting to make my own worms and other soft plastics. So my question to everyone is who has the best soft plastics (plastisol, etc.). Im looking for a high stretch and super soft.

From previous discussions:

http://www.tackleund...astic-companies

http://www.tackleund...plastic-is-best

http://www.tackleund...c-for-swimbaits

http://www.tackleund...ic-for-jerkbait

http://www.tackleund...-to-get-plastic

http://www.tackleund...learest-plastic

I have used both Bears and M-F and they both make excellent baits.

The soft from both is very consistent.

The super soft its just a itny bit yellow, but in tiny baits like grass shrimp and crappie grubs it looks very clear.

The medium from Bears is a tiny bit touchier about reheats. I have not used the medium from M-F. Its not bad though. I can still get 3-4 reheats without much/any color shift.

The soft sinking from M-F is a tiny bit tacky coming out of the mold, but overnight it turns smooth and shiny like the regular floating plastics.

I have only used LC plastics, both the hard and super soft....5 gal for 166.50 shipped...to Cali...last year this time it was 100 plus shipping...now its 120 just for the plastic....Cant seem to find a cheaper price for 5 gals....

I have been watching this thread very closely. I obtained (was given) 2.5 gallons of LC 502 and had varied results. I think because it had set for quite a while and most of the hardener had settled to the bottom and produced a softer bait. That said, I shook the living daylights out of the 2nd gallon and loved the results.

Now, I am in the market for some more plastic and was looking at Spike It's "medium" in a 5 gallon pail. By far the "cheapest" I have found...but! Has anybody poured with it...thoughts, reviews?

I have been watching this thread very closely. I obtained (was given) 2.5 gallons of LC 502 and had varied results. I think because it had set for quite a while and most of the hardener had settled to the bottom and produced a softer bait. That said, I shook the living daylights out of the 2nd gallon and loved the results.

Now, I am in the market for some more plastic and was looking at Spike It's "medium" in a 5 gallon pail. By far the "cheapest" I have found...but! Has anybody poured with it...thoughts, reviews?

SPIKE plastic? Where do I find it? Thanks Cliff

The "BEST" is a pretty hard one to describe as everyone has a different view of whats "BEST"

Polyone is the BEST as far as clearity and not turning yellow, but as far as price its expensive compared to others.

Years ago(4-5) Spike it has a really good one or used to make a really good plastic but again like poly one is was very expensive( they also make a cheaper one as well, or used to.)

Were talking BEST as being quality plastic NOT counting in price.

you can get plastics made that are the best but its expensive, unless your buying truck loads.

M-f is under the above 2 then everything else is under that.

Keep in mind again were talking best as in quality NOT PRICE.

As far as Stretch most plastics are all the same, the stretch is all in the hardness. You can't throw in the stretchy stuff like strikes kings plastic as thats a hole nother ball game all together and doesnt use the same compounds.

as far as super soft again thats kinda irrelivant as you can easly add softener to any plastic and get the softness you want.

All plastics are pretty much created equal as far as makinig/producing a bait. some have different smells some have different feels, some smoke more than others, some turn yellow etc etc, but you still get the same end result..

Delw

Basscandy, I've used almost every plastic on the market and the Spike-It plastic is as high in quality and clarity as all the other plastics. It's not a low quality formula, the reason it is cheaper is because Spike-It buys the components to produce plastisol by the tanker, and produce their own brand of plastisol. Unlike other companies, that buy it by the drum and redistibute it, they produce it by the drum. But if you make any amount of plastic and do this for any amount of time, you'll be like everybody else on the forum, the best will just end up being your favorite because you will have tried all the brands you can get your hands on. It wasn't too long ago that it was being said that Calhoun's was the "BEST" out there, but it won't take long for you to figure out that it's mainly personal perference.

plastic depends on your lure application, i have fresh water and salt water lures, some sink and some float, my clients decide what PLASTIC I SHOOT. i have used many manufactures and in the process each has its purpose in the manufacturing of my lures. if you have a fast sinking lure for salt water, well thats great in the summer months, but as the water cools, the trout/redfish become lethargic, the lure presentation has to slow down 50% or more to allow the lure to stay in the strike zone(winter time floating plastic is used to insure a slower peresentation). thats why back in the day soft plastic lure manufactures had a slow sink plastic and regular plastic. my advice is to use the plastic that fits the application, i have shot several and to me they are all the same, some sink and some float, some say one is oily others or oiless, if you properly cook and agitate the plastic (agitate is the answer to getting the correct plastic to react as designed) you will find little difference in the multiple plastic producers. i do the same with fresh water, its a little more difficult in fresh water for floatation but then thats the art of blending.

Basscandy, I've used almost every plastic on the market and the Spike-It plastic is as high in quality and clarity as all the other plastics. It's not a low quality formula, the reason it is cheaper is because Spike-It buys the components to produce plastisol by the tanker, and produce their own brand of plastisol. Unlike other companies, that buy it by the drum and redistibute it, they produce it by the drum. But if you make any amount of plastic and do this for any amount of time, you'll be like everybody else on the forum, the best will just end up being your favorite because you will have tried all the brands you can get your hands on. It wasn't too long ago that it was being said that Calhoun's was the "BEST" out there, but it won't take long for you to figure out that it's mainly personal perference.

I check the SPIKE prices....It is the least expensive Ive found...I shot them an email for shipping to CA and it is even 6 bux less than LC...So looks like aroudn 135 shipped for 5 gals....beats 166.50 i just paid...

I am going to try the hard.... I hope it mixes with the LC 536...