CHESAPEAKE-MARK

Help On Repaint Project / Hobby

I'm thinking of buying an airbrush to repaint some PLASTIC lures (herring blue on the back) & use for jigs. I am a beginner painter and have done some research on this, but still learning...

• do I have to sand the lure for the paint to stick? base coat needed?
  • any suggestions for the herring blue paint? is there something that flashes like they use on rattle traps?
  • I want to use a top coat. I use devcon on my jigs. Would this work or is there a spray on top coat?
  • Also - anyone mix or sprinkle flakes before the top coat (added flash)?

Mark

I'm thinking of buying an airbrush to repaint some PLASTIC lures (herring blue on the back) & use for jigs. I am a beginner painter and have done some research on this, but still learning...

• any suggestions for the herring blue paint? is there something that flashes like they use on rattle traps?
  • I want to use a top coat. I use devcon on my jigs. Would this work or is there a spray on top coat?

Mark

I always sand plastic and put a base coat of white and devcon will work. as for the blue back, haven't painted that color so not sure what color would be right. And I have added glitter from a spray can it seems to work but put it on before your topcoat.

Jeff

RiverValleyCrankbaits

I do the same as Jeff but I also put the flakes in my Devcon and mix it up. I thin it with denatured alcohol so it goes on smooth. After it dries I go back and put another thin coat over it. Hope this helps.

Mark

My decision for tools has changed some - I want to be able shoot powder, too. Barlow's sells a specific airbrush for this - is there anything special about it or do I just need a large diam needle (which)? I would like to buy 1 airbrush tool for repaints (liquid) & powder for my jigs. Any ideas would help. I looked at a airbrush paint forum but they are all doing autos ... different crowd / application.

Mark

I'm new at this as well but from my trial and error plus reading I've come to the conclusion that a mirror finish as seen on rattle traps is not possible via paint. I think the answer is with foil. Take a look at Createx Caribbean blue, depending on the shade of blue you'd like you might want to mix that with something darker. Personally I'm wanting to mix Caribbean blue with pearl silver for a more natural look (but I haven't tried it yet).

Mark

Createx sells a dark blue called Iridescent Electric Blue, if you are looking for a very strong blue color. Personally, I prefer the Lucky Craft MS-MJ Herring pattern for blueback herring. It is a chrome pattern with light blue shoulders and a dull camo green back. A foil finish with Createx Caribbean Blue and a brownish green back would come pretty close.

Lots of ways to add glitter to a bait. I prefer painting cheap hobby glitter, thinned with a little water, on the bait before topcoating. That lets me get the right amount of glitter only where I want it.

Not many crankbait painters use powder paint - you'd probably get more info on the wire bait forum. But I wouldn't discount info from model car painters; airbrushing a hard surface is pretty much the same for a jig or a model.