blazt*

Createx 4100 Aluminum Base?

Createx calls their 4100 series aluminum base "highly reflective" and I'm wondering if it would be good for cranks that imitate superflashy baitfish such

as shiners and shad. Sounds like it might be an easy way out of foiling a bait or maybe better than foil , and besides, it would let you use masking to lay scales down. I have some color charts coming in the mail but I can't wait...I want to know what the great oracle thinks.

To my eye, you can get about the same effect by blending several layers of the pearls and hi-lite/chameleon type colors. Pearl white over white base --> pearl sliver mixed with a drop or so of gray, possibly some hi-lite blue to preference. Thin, extend, and consider adding plain medium to your eye. Shoot light, fast, and dry coats running two brushes, one with the lighter color, one with darker. Think the effect ends up about the same, without the tip issues. Actually put a more detailed version of this up in the cookbook several years ago, assume it remains there.

As you spray the successive layers of color, the metallic look jumps out, finished by a clear coat before shooting dertails or dotting spots. Not foil. Not chrome. But neither is the aluminum paint.

To my eye, you can get about the same effect by blending several layers of the pearls and hi-lite/chameleon type colors. Pearl white over white base --> pearl sliver mixed with a drop or so of gray, possibly some hi-lite blue to preference. Thin, extend, and consider adding plain medium to your eye. Shoot light, fast, and dry coats running two brushes, one with the lighter color, one with darker. Think the effect ends up about the same, without the tip issues. Actually put a more detailed version of this up in the cookbook several years ago, assume it remains there.

As you spray the successive layers of color, the metallic look jumps out, finished by a clear coat before shooting dertails or dotting spots. Not foil. Not chrome. But neither is the aluminum paint.

Well, I just got off the phone with Createx and was told the color samples I'll be getting aren't real color chips - they're just printed on paper. So I won't be able to gauge reflectivity. Very dissapointing.

Here's something I've been thinking about lately, a liquid stainless steel coating:

http://www.inventables.com/technologies/stainless-steel-coating

That is a really interesting site. Thanks for the link.

I don't think I have a use for the sst coating, but the folks over there definately have their thinking caps on.