tekoutdoors.co

Sandblasting Lures

I am looking at a mini sandblaster and just wondering if this would work on plastic lures? I have tried to sand some down to the bare plastic but it just a pain and I can't get every little bit of paint off in all the nooks and crevaces. If anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tim

If a lure has a lip, I believe sand blasting will turn it white/milky looking. I don't believe it will hurt the lure otherwise. I scrape them with a knife blade and that works reasonably well, but not for the knife blade. Most lures I paint, I just wash and shoot, doesn't seem to give a problem. Musky Glenn

If a lure has a lip, I believe sand blasting will turn it white/milky looking. I don't believe it will hurt the lure otherwise. I scrape them with a knife blade and that works reasonably well, but not for the knife blade. Most lures I paint, I just wash and shoot, doesn't seem to give a problem. Musky Glenn

I also scrape with an exacto knife, and then dip wash in acetone to get the last little stuff off, and to smooth the scrape marks.

Acetone turns some bills clear, and makes some milky white, so test first.

Also, don't soak the lures, because it can eat all the way through the lure body eventually, and can cause the seams to open up. Been there, done that. :angry:

When doing repaints I use a mini-blaster on lures that have a textured body such as scale patterns, gill details, etc. that sanding with sand paper would destroy. All you have to do to protect the bill is tape it off. The mini-blaster is not extremely aggressive and in my opinion won't take the place of hand sanding. While it will do the job it takes a long time and uses quite a bit of abrasive. For me it's just another tool for certain situations. Some guys use the blasting cabinets like those that can be purchased at Hobby Lobby, but I have no experience with these. It could be that they are more aggressive and could take the place of hand sanding.

Ben

I remember Tim Hughes (Hughesy here on TU) of Hughes Custom Lures posting that his shop used a blast cabinet with ?walnut shells? to remove finish from lures before repainting them. If it's good enough for one of the best in the business...

We do use a blast cabinet and it only take seconds to clear out a lure without remove the details. We use fine glass for blasting at 120 psi. Taping off the bill does protect it but you have to retape after blasting. We then wipe the lure with an acetone soaked Q-tip to remove blasting media and to help smooth out the finish. This does not work however on epoxy coated lures and the glass bounces off of the epoxy. So we peel the epoxy before blasting the paint. Works great on stock factory lures though. Some lures like the old style wiggle warts, you can just wipe with acetone. Hope this helps!!