Metal Head

Heavy Duty Hardware

Where do you guys get heavier duty tackle for your bigger plugs for bigger game? I'm looking for some longer, stronger screw eyes than the kind that are currently available for smaller crankbaits. They are just too thin and don't go deep enough into the plugs I am making for saltwater and big freshwater game. I have done thru wire design on some baits, but like the ease of screw eyes. Also, does anybody have any recommendations on where I can get some big metal props and blades to attach to the plugs too?

Thanks for any tips.

Where do you guys get heavier duty tackle for your bigger plugs for bigger game? I'm looking for some longer, stronger screw eyes than the kind that are currently available for smaller crankbaits. They are just too thin and don't go deep enough into the plugs I am making for saltwater and big freshwater game. I have done thru wire design on some baits, but like the ease of screw eyes. Also, does anybody have any recommendations on where I can get some big metal props and blades to attach to the plugs too?

Thanks for any tips.

Catalog # 307931 (1 1/2 inch length)

Stainless steel screweyes are preferred by musky and pike fishermen for their extra strength. Screweyes are available in open and closed eye.

Are you looking for even bigger? Are they coming out of the lure or bending?

John

Aiden James Lures

http://AJLures.com

Edited by AJLures.com

For a few lures that I have done for saltwater I twisted my own out of welding rod/piano wire. It is a little teidous to bend but if you pay a little more and get surgical grade SS it makes it easier. I have a welding supply shop I goto... they gave me like 10 rods for free as they had a pack open. I think they were 1/8 diameter and 316 grade SS. Not much could damage these after twisted up.

For the strongest hardware on a bait I recommend twisted stainless steel wire.

The device pictured is a test block that I carry with me to the tackle shows I attend to demonstrate the strength of twisted wire over the standard stainless steel .092 screws.

The block is solid oak, 12” long and ¾” deep there are twisted wires in .032, .041 and .052 epoxied in holes in the block, in the center there is a .092 stainless screw. I use 400lb. cord to pull up on the various eyes while standing on the ends of the block. I have never had anyone pull out a twisted wire but the .092 screws will straighten out in a heartbeat, I have to carry a lot of extras.

Don’t guess, TEST.

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

My pictures0055.JPG

post-11462-0-71192400-1299280590_thumb.jpg

Yes the .092 will straighten but lets face it, we all have drags on our reels and a direct pull on a screw eye is not a realistic test. A hooked fish runs one way then another then another so you don't have a constant pull in one spot.

Every fall we land chinook up to 40 pounds on kwikfish with screw eyes that are half the size of the .092 and have never seen one straightened out. We use 65# braid, 50# mono leaders and some of the battles take 15 minutes. Its common here to see sturgeon that weigh several hundred pounds landed on kwikfish and again they have tiny little screw eyes on them.

Just about all custom musky lures are running .092 screw eyes.

RM

I will try the screw eyes first and then go to the wire. I have done wire thru on some baits, but it is just such a PITA. I think the screw eyes will hold for most applications. Thanks again.

I use barrel twisted eyes on all my lures. They are quick and very easy to make. Once you have done a few, you are upto speed. They have a very short learning curve.

finish.jpg

For your lures, I am thinking 16SWG (0.064" diameter), this will fit in a 3/16" diameter hole. Or 14SWG (0.080" diameter) will fit in 0.25" diameter hole. Epoxied in 1.25" or 1.5" length, these will not pull out.

I suggest that you build a test piece and test it to distruction. I think you will find that this design (originally posted by Hazmail) will out perform the screw eyes. The epoxy forms a strong key around the loose twisted wire, plus a third more area of contact that a regular tight twist.

I thought I had a thread on this, with pictures and instructions, but I cannot find it. Let me know if you need more information.

Dave

I use barrel twisted eyes on all my lures. They are quick and very easy to make. Once you have done a few, you are upto speed. They have a very short learning curve.

finish.jpg

For your lures, I am thinking 16SWG (0.064" diameter), this will fit in a 3/16" diameter hole. Or 14SWG (0.080" diameter) will fit in 0.25" diameter hole. Epoxied in 1.25" or 1.5" length, these will not pull out.

I suggest that you build a test piece and test it to distruction. I think you will find that this design (originally posted by Hazmail) will out perform the screw eyes. The epoxy forms a strong key around the loose twisted wire, plus a third more area of contact that a regular tight twist.

I thought I had a thread on this, with pictures and instructions, but I cannot find it. Let me know if you need more information.

Dave

So if I am understanding this correctly, you just wrap the wire around itself into that above shape, drill a hole in the bait, add some epoxy to the screw, stick it in and you're all set? Sounds awesome and much more full proof than a screw eye that could pull out. Thanks Vodkaman.

So if I am understanding this correctly, you just wrap the wire around itself into that above shape, drill a hole in the bait, add some epoxy to the screw, stick it in and you're all set? Sounds awesome and much more full proof than a screw eye that could pull out. Thanks Vodkaman.

Exactly right. Force epoxy into the hole and work it into the surface. I use a satay stick for this. Apply epoxy to the wire twists and then insert. I use fibreglass resin, but any epoxy will do.

Dave

finish.jpg

Dave

Dave,

I like those. Where do you get your wire?

John

I like those. Where do you get your wire?

I get it from a local shop in Bandung, Indonesia, so I don't think the address is going to help you much. It is only a small store, but it is floor to ceiling metal. Every conceivable bar size, shape and metal. It is my one stop shop for metal raw materials. Also the owner is very knowledgable, helpful and speaks good English. He even cuts the 4m bars down to size for me, so that I can carry then on my little motor bike.

I am only making small lures, upto 4" length at the moment, so the wire is 0.035" S304L stainless steel wire. I bought a 5Kg coil, so I am not going to be running out any time soon.

Dave

Of course if you don't want DIY, you can get HD hardware at some striper/muskie suppliers, like Saltybugger, NJ tacke, Luremaking.com, Moore's Lures, and likely Hagens/Lakeland as well. If you do use screw eyes, make sure to grab the drill drivers offered at some of these sites. They were inveted by a TU or TM member here, but it's been too long for me to recall whom!

Clemmy

in regards to .092 screweyes. It would have to be one serious fish and one strong man to not want use the drag. Yes they are bendable but that kind of pull that the test in the picture above is not natural. i am by no means beating on his test. i am just saying a fish pull and a straight pull are two different things.

If you want an even longer screw eye look up magnum screw eyes. Lure parts online sells them, they are 2 inches long and .092. Thats the biggest i have ever found.

Hope this helps. Please send pics of fish straightening the .092 screw eyes if you come across one. i want to catch it! Oh yea, i would not buy the open loop, bending it i would suspect compromises the steels integrity.

Off to the basement.