kejeon

Sos, Help Needed

I just forgot to wipe off the water last night, and the paint all soaked and fall off. very sadhuh.gif

okey, here's what I use:

white spray can as base coat (KRYLON bonds to plastic)

Anita's All Purpose Craft Paint, painted through airbrush

Harborfreight's 5min epoxy as a clearcoat.(probably the reason why my lure not waterproof)

okey, I thought epoxy is epoxy, they are the same stuff just the cure time.

I'll try etex next time, but how durable is that? Is it waterproof, or I should say waterproof enough?

I mean the lure I bought from store never have a paint failure, and I never wipe off water after casting.

another thought, is that because I use a waterbase paint? the white base coat(spray can) still good after soaking in water, the water based acrylic come off easily.

any thought, suggestion?

Thanks

Kejeon

Never heard of Harbor Freight epoxy. I'm surprised you could get 5 min epoxy on the lure fast enough, and I'm surprised it leveled out. Most 5 min epoxies cure too fast, have zero leveling (maybe because it cures so fast) and will turn brown very quickly when exposed to sunlight. While it's true that most liquid epoxy resins are similar, the hardeners can be quite different. Etex has an excellent reputation for durability when used in multiple coats and it is waterproof. Most "30 minute" epoxies, most "rod thread" epoxies, and most "pour-on, bar top, decoupage" epoxies have been used and all of them seem to work well.

If you get the right epoxy on the bait, the finish will stay on even if soaked in water for long periods - if the epoxy is not cracked or chipped through to the paint.

Never heard of Harbor Freight epoxy. I'm surprised you could get 5 min epoxy on the lure fast enough, and I'm surprised it leveled out. Most 5 min epoxies cure too fast, have zero leveling (maybe because it cures so fast) and will turn brown very quickly when exposed to sunlight. While it's true that most liquid epoxy resins are similar, the hardeners can be quite different. Etex has an excellent reputation for durability when used in multiple coats and it is waterproof. Most "30 minute" epoxies, most "rod thread" epoxies, and most "pour-on, bar top, decoupage" epoxies have been used and all of them seem to work well.

If you get the right epoxy on the bait, the finish will stay on even if soaked in water for long periods - if the epoxy is not cracked or chipped through to the paint.

Thanks a lot, bobp

Is there anything wrong by using all purpose water-based acrylic paint? ctex are kind of pricey, is it more durable than other paint? When I peeled the soaked epoxy coat today, the paint come off so easily, not bonded to the lure at all.

Thanks a lot, bobp

Is there anything wrong by using all purpose water-based acrylic paint? ctex are kind of pricey, is it more durable than other paint? When I peeled the soaked epoxy coat today, the paint come off so easily, not bonded to the lure at all.

As BobP said you must have some real brush speed with a 5 min epoxy. All epoxies are not the same and the two leaders in the race are Etex and Devcon 2 ton, I use Etex which I like and trust, users of 2ton will no doubt say the same. I know a lot of fellas here use water based acrylics and I've used them myself but prefer good old Nitro :). I dont think paint type is as important as the coat that protects it, get that right and the paint is ok no matter what it is.

philB