fishnart

Sanding Epoxy

First I'd like to apologize to you guys. Last week I started this post but just as I started typing I had to quit, little did I know I accidently sent it. So what you got was the first four words that made absolutely no sense and actually like I'd been drinking a bit. So anyways, my question. I think I saw once that you can sand a bait thats been epoxied with the Devcon Two type epoxy and re epoxy it and it will end up clear. My issue is I have some baits that have some tiny raised bubbles that I'd like to sand out and re-epoxy. Anyone know anything about this? I appreciate your help.

First I'd like to apologize to you guys. Last week I started this post but just as I started typing I had to quit, little did I know I accidently sent it. So what you got was the first four words that made absolutely no sense and actually like I'd been drinking a bit. So anyways, my question. I think I saw once that you can sand a bait thats been epoxied with the Devcon Two type epoxy and re epoxy it and it will end up clear. My issue is I have some baits that have some tiny raised bubbles that I'd like to sand out and re-epoxy. Anyone know anything about this? I appreciate your help.

I remember seeing that post and the thought that alcohol was involved never crossed my mind, LOL.

Yes, you can sand the imperfections and re-epoxy coat and it will come out clear.

It is better to re-epoxy the entire body, rather than just patches, or the patches will be slightly visible, at least to you. The fish will not be bothered though, for some reason they tend not to pick up on such minor imperfections. This will mean sanding the whole body. The sanding is required to give the new coat something to grip onto.

Dave

Yeah Dave it looked like I was drunk but I wasn't lol. Thanks for your response.

I remember seeing that post and the thought that alcohol was involved never crossed my mind, LOL.

Yes, you can sand the imperfections and re-epoxy coat and it will come out clear.

It is better to re-epoxy the entire body, rather than just patches, or the patches will be slightly visible, at least to you. The fish will not be bothered though, for some reason they tend not to pick up on such minor imperfections. This will mean sanding the whole body. The sanding is required to give the new coat something to grip onto.

Dave

Fishnart

I have sanded many epoxied lures. It's a great way to tart up tired looking baits and of course those devils with that little finish imperfection that spoils an otherwise perfect lure. After sanding I just finish with a very fine wire wool just to make that smoothness perfect. The transformation when re applying the epoxy is amazing but we must remember that it is a coat on top and will never be as strong as the original as I have found out when I cast one into an iron piling.

philB

Thanks guys