Brent R

Air Compressors You Are Using

I guess it would be best to say that I only paint for myself and don't do large quantities of brushing. But when I do spray, I spray for several hours at a time. I have a large 220 volt air compressor that I choose not to us. Instead I use a small Sears air compressor that I run to a portable air storage tank. The type you might carry to blow up a spare tire. From there it goes through a seperator/regulator then to the air brush. I tried to spray with the air bottles that you can buy, but that sure didn't work for me. I usually spray with the regulator set on about 20 pounds, but more often than not am spraying at a lot lower pressure when I pull the trigger. I plug and unplug when the pressure dropps, usually twice during 3 hours of spraying. I don't like the sound of the air compressor running when I am trying to think about the spray gun. Musky Glenn

I started out with a small 60 psi airbrush compressor with auto on/off. It was rather noisy and didn't include an air tank, so it also pulsed air rather than providing a steady air stream. Moved to a small "brad nailer" tool compressor with a 2 gallon air tank and 100 psi. That works OK and the air stream is steady, but it's very noisy and cuts on more often than I like. Here's my bottom line: Next time I'll buy a tool compressor that has the largest tank and most powerful (and quick acting) motor that will fit under my workbench in the garage. It will turn on much less frequently than my 2 gallon compressor and give me more peace and quiet while I'm trying to paint. I'll also be able to use it more often for secondary jobs like airing up tires, driving air tools, etc. Everyone has to decide for himself how much is "enough". Lots of compressors will get the job done, it's mostly about how convenient, quiet, and reliable you want it to be versus what you have to spend on it.

I have read many topic's on TU, but haven't read much on compressors.........What kind of compressor are you using and why??? Sure could use your info and expertize.....

I use a sears 3 gallon oil compressor I got for under $100 new. It works great for what I do. Usually paint for about 2-3 hours and it's not that loud to me.