Brent R

Lets Try This Again...what Name Brand Air Compreesor

http://www.harborfre...ssor-93657.html on sale now for 59.99

I have the 1/5 hp that came with the airbrush for about $25.00 more

It's very quiet as Lure-Prof says. I actually bought it upon his recommendation a while back. I use it about 4 hours a day almost every day for about 5 months now. If it dies today, I'll buy another one tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, it's already paid for itself.

It's very quiet as Lure-Prof says. I actually bought it upon his recommendation a while back. I use it about 4 hours a day almost every day for about 5 months now. If it dies today, I'll buy another one tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, it's already paid for itself.

Thanks for the update on that price Richard, that makes for a heck of a deal for anyone who needs air for painting only. I try to mention these every time there's one of these compressor threads, just to put the info out there for all those who come here for research, but don't really get involved in these conversations. Another advantage these compressors have is their sheer portability. You can paint anywhere you have electricity and a small area to do, whether your giving a crafting demonstration at a show, or just want to paint a few lures outside on a nice day. They also save space if your work area is limited, and allow working in a n apartment or small condo.etc. etc...

I think there may have been some small compressors out there that were prone to having a short life, but it sure isn't these. And if you research enough airbrush outlets, you'll find some airbrush compressors that look identical to these with the same specs, but are priced much higher.

Its all about your needs. I started with a pancake 1.5 gallon husky and that thign was loud and ran 24/7. It was horrible so I sold it and researched what I wanted/needed. After asking lots of questions and research I found that most people recomended a 20-30 gallon OILED compressor for my needs as I wanted it for the shop too. So i looked on craigslist for a week and found one 5 mins from my house for $40. Been using it for 4 years now and it runs like a champ. I chose an oiled unit because I just cant see an oiless unit holding up to the abuse. You would never buy a car with an oiless engine from china would you? JMHO!

I recently bought a twin tank IR at Tractor Supply. I run 4 guns off of it and it works great. It has a regulator on it and it is good. I have the compressor in one room and hard piped into my paint room. I have a second regulator and moisture trap right beside my spray booth so I can adjust on the fly. Pretty cool set up for an ole country boy like me.

I recently bought a twin tank IR at Tractor Supply. I run 4 guns off of it and it works great. It has a regulator on it and it is good. I have the compressor in one room and hard piped into my paint room. I have a second regulator and moisture trap right beside my spray booth so I can adjust on the fly. Pretty cool set up for an ole country boy like me.

I noticed that you said you have your compressor in another room......How loud is it???? db level if you know it???? I have a friend that has a gmc twin tank..4.3 gallon...it has 1hp and 60 db level....if you type in gmc air compressor there is a site that has it on utube......the 1 hp is the only thing i don't like besides it being oiless...He has had it for about 6 months with no problems...he uses it every day...it sales for 249.00 on sale.....i think it being so quiet is the best part..and the fact it only takes 2 min. to fill the tanks....thanks for your reply.

I have it in another room because I use it for other things. I had a big compressor before and piped it into my paint room so I just left things like they were. It is not very loud at all. It is a 2hp 4.5 gal oiled unit and I love it. Here is the model number: Ingersoll-Rand DD2T2 .

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

IR Compressor.jpg

post-17774-0-02280600-1300294371_thumb.jpg

I've used and owned compressors all my adult life.

If you're working inside the house, and noise is an issue, get an oiless airbrush compressor that's designed for inside use, as some here have suggested, and put up with the limited air supply.

If you have a garage or shop, where noise is only an inconveniece, buy a oiled compressor with a tank from Home Depot or some other home improvement place. Buy one with a big tank, so it doesn't have to cycle as much, but dont spend a fortune. Give it a try, and learn what works for you.

We really can't help you make the "perfect" decision. Only you can truly know what you need.

Thanks so much for all the replies....All of you have taught me a lot about compressors.......I'm not going to make up my mind over night, i never do.....Any more suggestion would surly be welcomed....Thanks again guy's for all your help......

Brent

I guess i could grab a root and grunt, or piss on the fire and call the dogs. But for me the smart thing to do is ask as many quistions as i can and get as many opioions as posiable. I'm not rich by any means so i thought i could learn by other peoples mistakes...I have learned a lot aready from the members on TU, and hope i can learn more. But in life i have learned that you can benifet by learning all you can.......and to me that gives me the advantage of someone who is afraid to ask.....Thanks for everything.

Brent

Brent,

I understand your wanting to gather info before deciding, but there is such a thing as "paralysis by analysis". At some point you have to pull the trigger, and take your chances.

Think of it this way, if you make a bad choice, you now have all of us to blame! ;)

Seriously, it's not rocket science, and you'll make a good choice if you just list your needs, and find something that fills them.

Brent,

I understand your wanting to gather info before deciding, but there is such a thing as "paralysis by analysis". At some point you have to pull the trigger, and take your chances.

Think of it this way, if you make a bad choice, you now have all of us to blame! ;)

Seriously, it's not rocket science, and you'll make a good choice if you just list your needs, and find something that fills them.

Couldn't have said it better with a dictionary and 2 weeks to say it. :yay:

Brent,

thanks for all your help

Sorry to jump in in a thread where the only knowledge I have is from TU. I have never had a compressor, nor had I saw someone using it. But I have a question about the technical data.

That Harborfreight compressor has the auto shut off at 40 psi, and the auto-on at 3 psi.

I wanted to see if I could find something similar on ebay Germany. I found many compressor types, but they do not seem to have the auto-on at such a low pressure.

Here is an example, an oilless compressor with a tank, with 2 auto shut off possibilities, at 4 bar (or 58 psi) and 6 bar (or 87 psi). In both cases, the auto-on is at 2.8 bar (or 40.6 psi). Does that mean that you cannot airbrush at a pressure lower than 40.6 psi ? Or is there a further possibility to reduce the air pressure in your airbrush, if needed? They say it's an airbrush compressor, so ....?

I have used an inline translator to have that information in English, but I think I have already mentioned the important data for my question.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Mini-Profi-Airbrush-Kompressor-KAS190-nur35db-Zubehor-/380324358831?pt=Modellbauwerkzeuge&hash=item588d192aaf

Rofish,

The auto shutoff is the maximum pressure that the compressor will reach before it shuts off.

That is typically the maximum safe pressure level for both the pump and the tank.

You can set it at lower pressures if you want to for painting, but you can't get more pressure out of the compressor than the maximum setting.

One of the reasons compressors with higher maximum pressure settings, typically around 125psi, and tanks are my preference is that I always have a big reservoir of pressurized air in reserve. And when I do draw the air pressure down low enough for the compressor to cycle, the pressure on the unit stays well above the painting pressure I have my inline regulator and water separater set for when I paint.

I leave my compressor shutoff set at 100psi, and my inline paint regulator at 40psi, so I always have plenty of air for painting.

Mark,

I think you could see that I have no problem in understanding what the maximum air pressure automatic shut off is meant for (safety matter). My problem was in understanding why some compressors have the auto air on at 3 psi while others have it at 40.6 psi. And they are both meant for airbrushing. I thought that since the air pressure comes from the tank, and the pressure in it could not go under a certain value (in my example 40.6 psi), then what will you do in case you need a lower pressure in your airbrush? Obviously, you will adjust the inline paint regulator as you say. But I didn't know about this small aspect. I felt from the very beginning that I have asked a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out why.

Many thanks for replying to such a question.

Mark,

I think you could see that I have no problem in understanding what the maximum air pressure automatic shut off is meant for (safety matter). My problem was in understanding why some compressors have the auto air on at 3 psi while others have it at 40.6 psi. And they are both meant for airbrushing. I thought that since the air pressure comes from the tank, and the pressure in it could not go under a certain value (in my example 40.6 psi), then what will you do in case you need a lower pressure in your airbrush? Obviously, you will adjust the inline paint regulator as you say. But I didn't know about this small aspect. I felt from the very beginning that I have asked a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out why.

Many thanks for replying to such a question.

Rofish, I saw your question, but must have gotten side tracked. I remember that I started typing the reply. Sorry about that. It certainly is not a dumb question. If you do not own a compressor, how would you know about regulators.

A compressor that does not kick in until the pressure drops to 3psi would be unbearable to use. That just does not sound right to me.

Dave