donk18

Lure Turner

I am planning on building a lure turner tomorrow and i have a few questions. Before i get blasted for not using the search feature, I have searched just have not gotten my clear answer. I have a 6rpm motor out of a microwave( so nice that the neighbors set it in the trash tonight :rolleyes: ). I am turning 2-4in. baits, i want to do 5 or 6 baits at a time, and i am going to be using e-tex. I am planning on using a 1in dowl rod as the axis. Now to the questions. Should the bait be turned nose over tail(vertical) or bottom over top(horizontal) around the axis? Should six inches from the axis be a good distance with the 6rpm the motor puts out?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help and thanks for this site. I have learned so much about painting and pouring baits here.

Mike

I am planning on building a lure turner tomorrow and i have a few questions. Before i get blasted for not using the search feature, I have searched just have not gotten my clear answer. I have a 6rpm motor out of a microwave( so nice that the neighbors set it in the trash tonight :rolleyes: ). I am turning 2-4in. baits, i want to do 5 or 6 baits at a time, and i am going to be using e-tex. I am planning on using a 1in dowl rod as the axis. Now to the questions. Should the bait be turned nose over tail(vertical) or bottom over top(horizontal) around the axis? Should six inches from the axis be a good distance with the 6rpm the motor puts out?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help and thanks for this site. I have learned so much about painting and pouring baits here.

Mike

Mike, it doesn't matter on which axis the bait is turned at 6 rpm. All points on the bait will rotate through 360 degrees in either configuration, and that's what counts. While a bait spun at long distance from the axis will move faster, it's not much of a factor at a 1" versus a 6" diameter. My 6 rpm turner works nose over tail and the baits clip to the turner 1" from the axle. I can clip bass baits on as I coat them without turning off the rotation, which is convenient. Tip: put a piece of blue painters tape on the lips if you use alligator clips, for a better grip and so you won't scratch them up.

Mike, it doesn't matter on which axis the bait is turned at 6 rpm. All points on the bait will rotate through 360 degrees in either configuration, and that's what counts. While a bait spun at long distance from the axis will move faster, it's not much of a factor at a 1" versus a 6" diameter. My 6 rpm turner works nose over tail and the baits clip to the turner 1" from the axle. I can clip bass baits on as I coat them without turning off the rotation, which is convenient. Tip: put a piece of blue painters tape on the lips if you use alligator clips, for a better grip and so you won't scratch them up.

Also pictures of your turners would be a great base line for me to go off of.

thanks,

mike

What BobP said, +1.

Check the data printed on the face of your motor. Not all motors from microwaves are mains voltage. Mine reads AC21V 50/60Hz, this means it runs on 21V a/c and it went 'pupft' and a little plume of smoke appeared. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem, so it maybe just the microwaves sold locally in Indonesia.

Dave

Well i got it made today. I am very happy with it. here are a couple of pics. What do you think? It will hold up to 8 baits with the possibility of 16 with some quick modifications.

IMG00099-20110308-2234.jpg

IMG00101-20110308-2235.jpg

Well, I'll be straight. I wouldn't have the courage to use it. The motor touches the wood on a large part of it's outside surface, and that's bad for the motor, which will warm up too quickly. I would be concerned about the safety of this setup. I had a second hand microwave motor which didn't work well, and was almost hot after less than 1/2 hours working time. Eventually it went dead, and I am always afraid of the possibility of starting a fire in my flat.

I think you do not need to use 3 attaching points from the lure to the turner. I use just one, and for my less than 4 inches lures, it is more than enough.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/rofish_2006/rofish_2006-4/?action=view&current=dryingwheel02.jpg

Nice construction on your turner! Mine looks prehistoric and was thrown together in an hour. But it has been running 7 yrs so no complaints. I like that I can turn it on, epoxy baits and clip them on without stopping the rotation. The motor is the critical part of any turner. This one is a $6 Micro Yang 6 rpm a/c motor and it has surprising torque for its size. It gets warm but not hot, a good sign. On small motors, the less mass they have to spin, the better as far as longevity goes. You'll get a good idea of how yours works by the heat the motor develops.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

post-12515-0-20574200-1299693810_thumb.jpg

Thanks, BobP. It seems to work great. I put my first coat of e-tex on my first three lures and the two my sons painted for me and they look great. The motor did get pretty warm but i wouldn't say it was hot so i think it should last for a while. I can put lures on while it is turning but i am not sure how well i can paint them while its turning. Thanks rofish for the comments. I don't think heat will be that big of an issure but i will keep and eye on it. I will post some pics of my lures once they are done.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks, BobP. It seems to work great. I put my first coat of e-tex on my first three lures and the two my sons painted for me and they look great. The motor did get pretty warm but i wouldn't say it was hot so i think it should last for a while. I can put lures on while it is turning but i am not sure how well i can paint them while its turning. Thanks rofish for the comments. I don't think heat will be that big of an issure but i will keep and eye on it. I will post some pics of my lures once they are done.

Thanks,

Mike

Everything BobP said is true. You need to have an idea about how safe is your set up, because safety is your main concern. And if your motor does not heat up too much, it should be safe. But to make it even safer, I'm sure you can change the way you have attached the motor to the turner, so that the motor would not be "trapped" in a hole in the wood. By doing this, you will let the heat from the motor escape more efficiently, and therefore extend it's life time. Since you plan on coating your lures with etex, you need a very long time to rotate them. I know what etex is from TU threads. I have learned that some people using etex leave their turners run overnight, so I think you have to be totally sure that your turner is perfectly safe, in case you want to leave it run unattended for 8-10 hours or so.

If you have the possibility to clip on the lures while it is rotating, that's a great plus. I need to stop my turner for about 3 seconds when I want to attach a new lure to it. Try to attach your lures on 2 points, to see if this is more convenient to you.

Edited by rofish

Jigginpig,

I just saw your lure turner, and I am amazed. If you have designed it and made it yourself, I would say you are a student in engineering and would become a very good one. I think you have much to share with Vodkaman, on PM or email. But I would also say you have used diamond to make a custom made nail.

Bobv,

I do not have the problem you have. I thin the epoxy with virgin lacquer (some use alcohol) and the epoxy would easily go through the thin paper I have printed the image on, to make a perfect bond with the glue layer which is between the foil and the paper.