JPfearnofish

Hand Pour/ Dipping Hulas?

Through searching and general brainstorming, I understand that the best option to making hula skirts (for twin-tail grubs) would be through the use of an injection mold. However, I was curious I there is another option.

I was thinking one of two things. If I dipped a rod, then used a tube-tail cutter, I could possibly use that as the skirt portion of the grub, or another member posted possibly drilling out/ carving a solid pop mold.

Was wondering if anyone else had tossed this idea around or given it any thought.

Thanks

JP

Through searching and general brainstorming, I understand that the best option to making hula skirts (for twin-tail grubs) would be through the use of an injection mold. However, I was curious I there is another option.

I was thinking one of two things. If I dipped a rod, then used a tube-tail cutter, I could possibly use that as the skirt portion of the grub, or another member posted possibly drilling out/ carving a solid pop mold.

Was wondering if anyone else had tossed this idea around or given it any thought.

Thanks

JP

That would work, or you could pour a circle of plastic and make something like a cookie cutter kinda to cut the tails, we had guys do that in the past, there should be some pics or post up from around 2004/2005? Vodka man might remember that one.

That would work, or you could pour a circle of plastic and make something like a cookie cutter kinda to cut the tails, we had guys do that in the past, there should be some pics or post up from around 2004/2005? Vodka man might remember that one.

Before my time Del.

If you really think about this challenge, there are lots of solutions, some mentioned above. My solution would be to make a spreader with a pip at each end, to control the depth. Pour plastic onto a ceramic tile and drag the spreader across. This would give a constant thickness layer of plastic. A standard tail cutter would finish the job.

Dave

Thanks

JP

Canyon Plastics made and still makes the first spider jig I ever used. I am talking 1992 and I believe this was before the Yamamoto Hula Grub came out. It's skirt was made as you describe. Here is a link.

http://www.fishingluresandbaits.com/800-p-spiderjig.html

Thanks

JP

I have 1000s of these all made.. ( I bought these, they are injected ) many different colors. I mite have what you need

I can sell some reasonable.if you would like.

I have a ton of them singles and doubles that I would be more then happy to sale to you or anyone just email me for colors. cctackle@gmail.com

Thanks

JP

Edited by CCTackle

I don't see any reason why you couldn't make a POP mold that would work, open pour.

If you mix your POP really well, set some center plugs in the POP, and smooth the top with something like a piece of ceramic tile by pressing it down on the mold face.

Let it dry, and then use an exacto knife to cut radial veins in the POP before you oven cure it.

Once the mold is cured, and sealed, you could just fill the plug and veins loosely with your plastic, press the tile down on top of the mold to thin out the over pour, and then cut the filmy excess off after the plastic hardens. The ceramic tile will help the plastic cool quickly, and the skirt will stick to the tile when you lift it off if you spray the mold with PAM before you start pouring.

Time consuming, but you'd probably get pretty good at it once you'd practiced, and you could make any color skirt you wanted.

I use this method with RTV 4" lizard molds from Lure Craft, and it works great.