blazt*

How Many Crankbaits From One 5 Gal Air Tank?

I was reading an airbrush how to book at the library that recommended and air storage tank as an air source. I kind of blew the idea off a few weeks ago and started thinking about compressors but now I'm reconsidering.

I guess the real question is how many bass cranks can I get out of a 5 gallon tank , or more exactly how many can YOU spray at whatever pressure you're running?

Hopefully there'll be a gas station with a pump that cranks out at least 90 psi.

It depends a lot on how good of a system of air lines you have. I spray for about three hours and fill my tank two or three times, BUT I have some leakage at various places counting the Badger gun leaks some air all the time. I am not spraying all that time either, a lot of prep work goes on also. I would say if you didn't do anything buy spray with no leak situation, you could spray dozens. Just a guess because I don't spray in a hurry, did I mention I am retired. You wouldn't believe how cheap a compressor you can get by with if you are not in a hurry. They still make bicycle hand air pumps that will give you 30-40 pounds easy, and into a large enough storage tank that would last quite a while. Most of my spraying is done set on 20 pounds, but as soon as I pull the trigger it drops a few pounds and I am really spraying at a lower pressure than that. I'm waiting for someone to convert a water storage tank, like used on a house with a well, some of those things are twenty gallons. A length of schedule 40 plastic 3" water line with caps on each end and a couple of fittings would hold a lot of air. All it takes is the right combination of air fittings. Napa auto parts or Harbor Freight have what you need. A new portable air storage tank is like $30.00 bucks, plus regulator. Musky Glenn

Depends on a lot of things. For one how much you actually get in the tank. I used one for a couple years before buying a compressor. I filled it up in the garage off my big compressor. Usually got half a dozen baits done if I had everything ready to go and shot right through them. Leaks are inevitable some where so longer it takes to do you painting the fewer number you get done. I got a Paache air brush compressor at a yard sale for $5 two years ago and it still runs great, no more trips to the garage.

............I have some leakage at various places....

Have you tried testing for leaks w/ soapy water then sealing with teflon tape? The yellow HF model was the one I was looking at. At least one of their regulators has a reputation for being junk, though.

Edited by blazt*

no just bass lures lol. i only have a 1 or 1.5 gal tank on my compressor, and it runs a few times while painting one bait.

now that i think about it though, the compressor doesn't turn on when there is no more air in the tank, it turns on when the tank pressure drops from 120 to 90 psi i think, so i probably get a lot more baits than one from 5gal of air.

If I am running 3 guns for a blended paint scheme, or a crackle finish, I use a lot of air, between painting and cleaning.

When I do a batch of 6 jointed swimbaits, my 30 gallon tank compressor cycles during the base coat painting process, when I use a syphon fed Badger to spray several coats of undercoating.

When I'm actually doing the paint scheme with my gravity fed brushes, it lasts for at least three lures before it recycles. But I clean out my brushes before each color change.

Just tried this. Have a 30gal. tank on my compressor, 150lbs. at the tank before going to my regularor and airbrush. Unplugged the compressor and started spraying and after 24 baits were sprayed with primer and the first of a three color paint scheme my pressure was still at 80lbs at the tank. Just by that I'm guessing I could have sprayed another 10 before the pressure went below the what was needed.

I would think with a 5gal tank at 125psi you should be able to shoot 6 to 8 baits with no problem, thats prime and paint.

I was reading an airbrush how to book at the library that recommended and air storage tank as an air source. I kind of blew the idea off a few weeks ago and started thinking about compressors but now I'm reconsidering.

I guess the real question is how many bass cranks can I get out of a 5 gallon tank , or more exactly how many can YOU spray at whatever pressure you're running?

Hopefully there'll be a gas station with a pump that cranks out at least 90 psi.

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered a 1/8 hp airbrush compressor from Harbor F.