SPOOKFREAK

Devcon 2 Ton Questions

Hey folks hope everyone is having a good day. I have been using the devcon 2 ton to topcoat my lures. I have been putting one heavy coat on the baits. Do I need to aply another coat. If so do i need to not install the devcon on too thick the first time. I guess im asking for a break down on how to exactly topcoat a balsa crankbait. And i am also noticing alot of air bubbles on my baits after i brush on the Devcon 2 ton. I would like to know what i am doing wrong to get those bubble. Is it the brush or do i need to thin or what. You all have always been very helpful with my questions. So Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Hey folks hope everyone is having a good day. I have been using the devcon 2 ton to topcoat my lures. I have been putting one heavy coat on the baits. Do I need to aply another coat. If so do i need to not install the devcon on too thick the first time. I guess im asking for a break down on how to exactly topcoat a balsa crankbait. And i am also noticing alot of air bubbles on my baits after i brush on the Devcon 2 ton. I would like to know what i am doing wrong to get those bubble. Is it the brush or do i need to thin or what. You all have always been very helpful with my questions. So Thanks and May GOD BLESS YOU ALL

I suggest you put a thinner coat on the bait by thinning with denatured alcohol. I just dip my clean brush in the denatured alcohol and stir it in my pre mixed devcon and it thins it right up. Paint the devcon on with a decent hair brush and brush out all of the bubbles.

I suggest you put a thinner coat on the bait by thinning with denatured alcohol. I just dip my clean brush in the denatured alcohol and stir it in my pre mixed devcon and it thins it right up. Paint the devcon on with a decent hair brush and brush out all of the bubbles.

How are you sealing the balsa?

If the wood is not sealed tight, air will permeate through the paint and give you problems. Curing epoxy is exothermic. The temperature rise is hardly noticable, but enough to expand the air in a balsa bait.

Dave

How are you sealing the balsa?

If the wood is not sealed tight, air will permeate through the paint and give you problems. Curing epoxy is exothermic. The temperature rise is hardly noticable, but enough to expand the air in a balsa bait.

Dave

Exothermic?...I once knew this woman who.................

I use the same method with the D2T...dip the brush in the DA after intitial mixing of the 2 parts with a toothpick. The D2T should flow nicely. if it doesn't, then it has set up too much and won't look very good.

If you don't want to mess with introducing DA to the mix, heat will thin and level the epoxy and will also get rid of bubbles. Just be careful not to get it too hot! Test this method on something that you can throw away. I would feel bad if I helped you ruin a lure!

John

Aiden James Lures

http://AJLures.com

I undercoat the raw wood with Devcon thinned with denatured alcohol, paint the lure, then put on one coat of Devcon that is thinned only slightly if at all. An artist's brush with fine bristles will help to apply epoxy without causing bubbles.

If you paint an Alumilite casting within 10 or 15 minutes of demolding, acrylic and enamel paints will chemically bond to the surface. It gives extreme adhesion. All you need to do is give it a light base coat. After that, the subsequent layers of paint will not have any issues adhering to the base coat of paint. If you are maiking a lure or two this is easy to do. If you are trying to do production steps, by filling up a crate with bodies before you move on to the next step, this isnt for you....