Brent R

Clear Coat Swimbait

Sure could use your help on clear coating a segmented swim bait.....How, with what and so on......Thanks for your input....

On segmented swimbaits I brush on at least 3 coats of the original DN. Dipping won't work (seals the joints) ;) and the epoxies are too thick at the joints.

Sure could use your help on clear coating a segmented swim bait.....How, with what and so on......Thanks for your input....

Fix it into a kinda frame in a stretched out condition(with rubber bands or coil springs) and brush on the clearcoat , ......if utilizing a slow curing product requiring a rotisserie , make sure that you could clamp that frame into the rotisserie , .........using fast curing topcoat just flip over the frame a few times to avoid dripping , ....you could utilize carpenters clamps or larger spring-loaded clamps as a mount for that frame to stand firmly on your workbench .

Try not to apply any laquer into the joining hinge eyes , ...if such still happens , I utilize a "Dremel" with a 1,0 mm drill bit and a Stanley knife(carpet knife) to carefully scrape off the clearcoat remainders from the wire eyes after curing .

good luck , diemai :yay:

When I used to make jointed swimbaits from wook, after I'd installed my hinge screw eyes and adjusted the spacing on my joints, I'd disassemble the lure.

I would coat the joint faces with one coat of D2T before I reassembled the lures. After it set, I'd clean it up a little if needed, and redrill my hinge pin holes.

I used to bring the Dt2 out onto the face of the sections about 1/4" to insure a good lap with the face epoxy.

Then I'd reassemble the lure, put it on my turner, and coat the faces with Etex, three coats.

Since I switched to PVC as a building material, I just dip the sections in urethane three times before assembly, and that's it.

for the baits I repaint that I cannot or just dont want to take apart I use rubberbands. use the smallest diameter ones you can get away with and just wrap tight around the joints. then I spray with auto clear and it works fine. I cut the rubberbands off when i am done.

Another way I used to do this is by putting a drop of super glue in the hinge and let it set up. wen done painting and what not I took a dremel with scrap wire and cleaned them out. then I would take a knife and clean the excess too. I havent done tis in awhile as its kinda a pain... plus u can only do this on a few hinge systems ones like on slammers. I just mainly use the rubber band method now if I dont break the lure down.