carolinamike

Lureworks Plastisol

First off, let's get this straight, this post was started only to say that Lureworks offered more variety of plastisol than what's normally been available. It was not started to discuss the good or bad of it, but of course that's what this forum is all about. But there's also been a lot of unfairness on this one too. Jim, we all get it, you have a bubbling problem and you don't particularly don't like this plastisol, but you did reorder and you've talked very little about the plastisol that you reordered. You also made the comment that you didn't feel that your input would do much good, when I know for a fact before your last plastisol was sent out, it was burned in the microwave trying to make it bubble. So it looks like to me that individual feedback has already helped you. You've had very little, almost nothing to say about this. And you've also went through the trouble to be sure to name other companies that people already knew were out there, and the new company that you started the post on. But mainly, what bothers me about this Jim, is you keep saying you're not bashing this company, but if you'll read back over the 11 pages of this thread, about all of yours have been negative. If you've sold worms to someone and they weren't satisfied with them, would you want them to contact you directly or would you want them to post it on the forum and say that well I will try to contact him but it would probably do no good? I've always thought of you as a fair person, there's been times that people have come on TU and bad mouthed mold makers and others and you've always been one of the first people to chime in and say that they should contact the person direct and not post it on the forum. And you yourself keeps repeating over and over how new these guys are to the business. I've watched Bear and others come into this business new and get it from other people but the way this one's went it sure has surprised me. These are super hard working folks. Guys they're not in the business to cheat anybody. And if it hadn't been for Bruce's infinite knowledge, I would probably already be out of business. Your feedback is very important to these guys no matter what anyone else says, and they are working on their micorwave issue. But again there are people that aren't having issues, so there is something different going on. I mean how does someone have a chance to stand behind their product when you won't even talk to them personally about the issue? I mean sure this plastisol may not be for everyone, but I don't know any plastisol out there that everybody on this forum is happy with. These guys have so much to bring to the table, things that most of you could ever even think doing with plastic, an endless color list, and nothing but outstanding customer service. I mean if you don't like it, you don't like it, that's the great thing about living in America and freedom of speech is the other. There's a microwave bubble issue for some of you out there, we get it, we understand what you're saying.

First off, let's get this straight, this post was started only to say that Lureworks offered more variety of plastisol than what's normally been available. It was not started to discuss the good or bad of it, but of course that's what this forum is all about. But there's also been a lot of unfairness on this one too. Jim, we all get it, you have a bubbling problem and you don't particularly don't like this plastisol, but you did reorder and you've talked very little about the plastisol that you reordered. You also made the comment that you didn't feel that your input would do much good, when I know for a fact before your last plastisol was sent out, it was burned in the microwave trying to make it bubble. So it looks like to me that individual feedback has already helped you. You've had very little, almost nothing to say about this. And you've also went through the trouble to be sure to name other companies that people already knew were out there, and the new company that you started the post on. But mainly, what bothers me about this Jim, is you keep saying you're not bashing this company, but if you'll read back over the 11 pages of this thread, about all of yours have been negative. If you've sold worms to someone and they weren't satisfied with them, would you want them to contact you directly or would you want them to post it on the forum and say that well I will try to contact him but it would probably do no good? I've always thought of you as a fair person, there's been times that people have come on TU and bad mouthed mold makers and others and you've always been one of the first people to chime in and say that they should contact the person direct and not post it on the forum. And you yourself keeps repeating over and over how new these guys are to the business. I've watched Bear and others come into this business new and get it from other people but the way this one's went it sure has surprised me. These are super hard working folks. Guys they're not in the business to cheat anybody. And if it hadn't been for Bruce's infinite knowledge, I would probably already be out of business. Your feedback is very important to these guys no matter what anyone else says, and they are working on their micorwave issue. But again there are people that aren't having issues, so there is something different going on. I mean how does someone have a chance to stand behind their product when you won't even talk to them personally about the issue? I mean sure this plastisol may not be for everyone, but I don't know any plastisol out there that everybody on this forum is happy with. These guys have so much to bring to the table, things that most of you could ever even think doing with plastic, an endless color list, and nothing but outstanding customer service. I mean if you don't like it, you don't like it, that's the great thing about living in America and freedom of speech is the other. There's a microwave bubble issue for some of you out there, we get it, we understand what you're saying.

Not trying to be rude Mike but apparently didn't read all the posts, only the ones you apparently wanted to read.

I did post how I liked the soft after I recieved it. The exact post is below in bold. Please re-read it for your information. The full post is in this thread if you need to re-visit it.

Seems you are very biased in your reports on this companies products since they have helped you so much in the past. No harm there but the issue is the issue. Mike, have you cooked any of the Pourasol blends in a microwave recently????????? If not, do it and see what you get.

Also, I have not contacted Bruce. He posted on this thread early on and therefore should have access to read all this info. I am not sure what copying and pasting my comments to an email will do over him just logging back onto this thread and reading it. He would also be able to see the comments from others regarding the bubble issue and all other comments. He can get a full picture that way.

I am not bashing the company at all and understand they have helped you and others greatly. That is good. Start another thread on that then. This thread is specifically about the plastisol and its performance. I have only posted what I have seen. Sorry it has not been to your liking but it is factual.

I am a fair person and I am calling it exactly like I see it. Any doubts and I can video the full heating process and a picture of the cup when complete. Be glad to cook other plastisol in the microwave at the same time for a full visual comparision. Hell, I'll have my wife cook them so no foul play can be called.

Don't mind you calling me out Mike but please get everything stright prior to posting what I did and didn't do.

Jim

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

I finally tried the Soft (Pourasol) and will say I was very pleasantly surprised. No microbubbles seen. Very soft and the baits are not sticky when cooled. Smoke was minimal for sure. I believe I will use the soft after a few more "on-the-water" tests.

First off, let's get this straight, this post was started only to say that Lureworks offered more variety of plastisol than what's normally been available. It was not started to discuss the good or bad of it, but of course that's what this forum is all about.

If this is true Mike, then really this thread should have been deleted according to the rules of the forum. This is forum for technical discussion . When you start your post, you get this message. This really would allow anyone to say, Did you see that on Joe Blow's website they added all these new products?

In addition, if you review the post well, you will see that I was not the person that rasied the bubble issue at all. The question was asked by a member other than me. I just have added my comments as asked or after using the plastic. I have also made comments on the superior customer service I received.

I like the soft as posted and as posted, I might even use it consitantly.

Please be sure to call all the others out that have mentioned the bubbling issue or other issues in this post. :angry:

Jim

It's not or they would be posting it.

Jim, Your bringing out another point 1/2 power. Most likely everyones microwave has different power / wattage out levels.

Half power would mean that your microwave is sending out energy half the time that is timed to cook for, unless you are using a newer microwave that has the new inverter power system that actually puts out the power all the time. This new type inverter was developed by Panisonic. It lowers the out put instead of blasting full power in timed events. This is really some cool stuff they came out with, I learned about it when I was shopping for a new microwave awhile back. I think Panisonic is the only one offering it since they have the rights to it. I can tell you it works really nice.

Back to the issue, I tried mine with 1/2 power last night and I did see some improvement when using medium. (Can't say what it improved though now!!).

Might have to go hunt a Panasonic down or just use pot.

Jim

Are you people to cheap to spend an extra $10 and try the Ultrasol ,which is supposed to be a better product.Besides it's still cheaper than MF,LC,CC,or anybody else.

Is better or supposed to be better? I have not seen a single report on the Ultrasol. Do you have one or have you tried yet? Buy some and let us know.

Also, it is not $10 more... $95 for Pourasol, $129 for Ultrasol... Posted prices....

Ultrasol also is not cheaper than all the others listed especially when you add in shipping to your door. Many forget to calculate shipping but it is a cost to the final product. LC is $132 for 5 gallons, Calhoun's 5 gallon on Bear's site is only $114.50. CCM includes their shipping into the 5 gallon cost and it is cheaper than LC for me when shipping is added to LC.

I will also say that I am not look for cheaper myself. I want a product that performs in the process I use and makes superior soft plastics. If price was the only deal, I could go directly to the Calhoun's plant here in GA and get a 55 gallon drum for $200- $300 less than anything you see advertised out there. Dirt cheap. Problem is, the plastisol does not perform well for me.

Jim

Ok boys, here's my two cents! I don't pour as much as most of you just for myself and a couple friends. I have used Calhouns, Chemionics, and now Pourasol. Like most I found the Calhouns a little to smelly for my taste in the garage, not a bad plastic just stinky. I really liked the Chemionics from Bear, low smoke and easy to pour. Downside no longer available. So now I'm using Medium Pourasol. It definitely has more smoke/smell that the Chem. but not a lot. It is thinner thus a little easier on hand pours, no difference on injecting. The gallon I bought had no settling and took minimal stirring to get it ready. Heated very easily in the microwave with some bubbles. I use an old 800w. microwave and run it on 1 min bursts stirring in between . I started at full power to get it going and then eased back as it approached liquid state. 5 min. total from jug to pouring. It does seem like it takes a little longer to cool/firm up than the others. I accidentally overheated one batch to the point it was water thin and the flake wouldn't stay suspended, after it cooled a little it was fine with no scorching. Overall this is a good product especially for the small time guys not in a hurry. I don't like the smell but I guess at the price I just need to up the fan speed a little! One trick I found for eliminating a sticky bait- after cooling in water for a few minutes I put the finished baits in the deep freeze for 15 min or so. Pull them out let them get back to ambient temp and perfect bait every time. I don't buy enough plastic in a year to make the expensive stuff worthwhile and I will put up with some bubbles if that's the only down side.

Bob

Edited by bobv

Is better or supposed to be better? I have not seen a single report on the Ultrasol. Do you have one or have you tried yet? Buy some and let us know.

Also, it is not $10 more... $95 for Pourasol, $129 for Ultrasol... Posted prices....

Ultrasol also is not cheaper than all the others listed especially when you add in shipping to your door. Many forget to calculate shipping but it is a cost to the final product. LC is $132 for 5 gallons, Calhoun's 5 gallon on Bear's site is only $114.50. CCM includes their shipping into the 5 gallon cost and it is cheaper than LC for me when shipping is added to LC.

I will also say that I am not look for cheaper myself. I want a product that performs in the process I use and makes superior soft plastics. If price was the only deal, I could go directly to the Calhoun's plant here in GA and get a 55 gallon drum for $200- $300 less than anything you see advertised out there. Dirt cheap. Problem is, the plastisol does not perform well for me.

Jim

5 gallons CCM $177 shipped.

5 gallons Spike-It Pourasol Medium $120.60 shipped (here anyway)

5 gallons LC Medium $132 PLUS shipping

5 gallons Calhoun from Bear $139.01 shipped (again, that's to my location)

5 gallons M-F $160 shipped

I hope I'm not violating any rules posting these, but the discussion had turned to price, so I thought giving everyone an idea would be appropriate. If not, please accept my apologies and delete.

Edited by Largehead Louie

Jim, are you this serious in your boat?

Huh???? If you mean when I fish, heck no. We have the biggest time, usually cause we are catching, not fishing!!!! LOL!!!! Always a blast in my boat. If you mean something else, I got no clue.... :blink:

LC is $148.50 to my location....

Problem is, we are still comparing apples to oranges in a way. Some of these are higher levels of plastisol, like Ultrasol. But we are quoting Pourasol copmared to M-F and CCM. Not the same as M-F and CCM are made with higher grade pvc's.

For a closer comparison, I would guess Ultrasol is $129 + approx $20 or so to ship so $149 to $155 to my house... Still a good price in comparison......

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

No correction from me however you have to get past the picky BUYERS before your bait gets in the water...... Bubbles will weaken a bait and it will tear where the hook penetrates. Tears real easy. Think straight worm mold and how the head is at the top (for hand injection). Whole top or head of bait would have thousands of bubbles as air rises....

Bubbles in a bait are not good no matter hand pour or hand injection, unless maybe just in the tail section so it floats even better (worm or bait like that, swimbait would be worthless same with many others..)

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

FYI , if you call Lureworks they will give you 8oz samples free with no shipping.I have some samples but I am letting them sit to see what kind of hard packing I get.Will post results after I pour.

WTR, you won't find very much settling in an 8 oz bottle. It's not hard pack, but it is a thicker substance on the bottom, kind of like honey before you stir it up. But it incorporates at nothing. In a 55 gallon drum, I may get a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of settlement on the bottom, but it's never dried hard pack. With LC in a 55 gallon drum, you usually get 3 to 4 inches. It's usually packed pretty hard and when I was doing hand pours, when a new drum came in I would have to stir it with a paddle to break up everything off the bottom before I could put the agitator in to get it to incorporate. With Lureworks I let a new drum stir at least 30 minutes if not longer, but LC's I used to have to wait an hour or two before everything on bottom was fully incorporated. But like I said the settlement is so little, I don't know whether you'll have enough to notice in an 8 oz bottle.

News on the Pourasol as I have recieved samples from Lureworks that are of a different formula.

I liked the way it cooked but the micro bubbles were actually worse. Only had 4oz so I cooked the medium 1 minute, then stirred then 15 seconds, 15 secs, etc til done. Resulting baits were much stickier and softer. I have yet to try the hard version. Will tonight for sure.

This is the start of working out a formula that will give far less or no microbubbles in the medium and hard versions of Pourasol.

I applaud Lureworks for working on this as they could have left it alone. They are interested in the hand pour guys and hand injectors alike. I am going to try everything they ask in testing to see if there can be a solution for us "mic" users.

Jim

Jim, glad to hear you contacted Lureworks. As you know they are a very big company that is used to catering to the industrial aspect of the industry. And I know they would appreciate your feedback very much. The hobbyist or smaller side of this industry is new to them and they don't have all the answers, they just need one or two stand up people that's willing to help out and feedback is a big part of it. I'm sure if you would have contacted them at the very first and told them the product just wasn't working out for you, you would have received an immediate refund or they would have made it good in some way or another. I'm sorry about all that mess before, but I just feel like we ought to give everyone a chance to make things right before we make criticisms. You're a good guy and very knowledgable on the hand pour side of things and any help you're willing to give anyone I'm sure would be well appreciated. I hope they can get something worked out for you and the others that are having the bubble problem. I know there's still a lot of other things that they have to offer, it's just going to take a little time.

Your friend,

True story bud. I am going to do everything I can to test things and find a way forward. Unfortunately, the microwave is readily available and is such a common way to "cook" plstisol.

I will keep updating as we move forward. I know there is solution.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, Lord knows I need it!!! :D

Jim