carolinamike

Lureworks Plastisol

I may have hit on the partial answer as to why some have lots of micro-bubbles and some just have few bubbles and some may not report any.

I had not used any Pourasol in a few days and wanted to get the soft pack mixed back up. Turned my jugs over and left them for an hour or so. Came back and there was a nice ring of plastisol on the shop floor.

I know if plastisol can get out, moisture can get in. Stabilizer is made in a way that some "salts" are introduced into the plastisol.

My theory is, the HIGH (80-90%) humidity, is getting into my plastisol, even though the lids are on as tight as you could get one.

I have a way of evacuating the humidity (water) out via a buddy so I am going to take a sample to be de-aired.

I do think the microwave still is causing some issue via the rapid cook but my hunch is guys are seeing this in places with very high humidity because the jug/lid combo is not effectively sealing out the moisture. Plus, Spike It is here in GA, where the humidity is HIGH. Another chance for contamination right out of the factory...

Will update after de-airing...

Jim

I have bought the Pourasol Medium and have major issue with micro bubbles when heating in micro. Does anyone have solution to geg rid of those? I've emailed Bruce at spikeit but haven't heard back from him about the problem.

HEAT SLOWER!! Oh, and don't OVER STIR. I strictly use the Pourasol Medium. I only heat in the microwave. Through extensive trial and error, I determined that I had far fewer (if any) microbubbles once I turned my microwave down to 70%, and I only stirred enough to mix in the colors and/or flake. These 2 tips will work.

PS: If you cannot get rid of the bubbles, just let me know how much you want for the plastisol. I'll probably buy it off of you. I LOVE the stuff.

HEAT SLOWER!! Oh, and don't OVER STIR. I strictly use the Pourasol Medium. I only heat in the microwave. Through extensive trial and error, I determined that I had far fewer (if any) microbubbles once I turned my microwave down to 70%, and I only stirred enough to mix in the colors and/or flake. These 2 tips will work.

PS: If you cannot get rid of the bubbles, just let me know how much you want for the plastisol. I'll probably buy it off of you. I LOVE the stuff.

so you make UN - salted baits?

I recently purchased some medium Pourasol and wanted to share my experience from the vantage point of someone who is totally new to pouring. After reading about so many people that had problems heating it in the microwave I was a bit hestitant to try it, but I figured for the price what could it hurt? So I ordered a gallon of the medium pourasol, upon recieving it there was very little hard pack in the bottom and after turning it over a few times it was gone. Now on to the heating. I poured a half a cup in my pyrex measuring cup and stuck it in the microwave. After reading about the slow heating time needed to properly heat the plastic (thanks TU, wouldve been up a creek without this info!) I turned the microwave down to a power setting of 2 and set the time for 4 minutes. After 2 minutes it was barely up to 90 degrees so I bumped it up to a power level of 4. This setting worked great, takes an average of 8 minutes to heat the plastic to the proper temp. Checked with the thermometer and it was just right, poured it into my handpour lizard mold and it came out beautifully!! There were no bubbles at all anywhere in the bait! Well there were a couple in the tail but that was due to not enough vents in the tail area. I didnt add enough color so it came out clear with sparkles lol but overall for my first pour I was very happy! I am very satisified with this plastic and will continue to use it! One question though, the baits I have been pouring have been coming out somewhat tacky, I read somewhere that that generally means the mold isnt sealed enough. I have put several (at least 5) coats of the elmers glue all and water 50\50 mix, and 2 coats on top of that with devcon/denatured alcohol, so I dont think sealing is my issue. Possibly I am demolding to early? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh and Im using water putty as my mold medium, not sure if that makes a difference for sealant or not

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

lure.jpg

post-26995-0-41647200-1314126175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mindhunter

It seemed as though it went through all 3, the third stage is when it becomes clear right? When I pull it out to pour it it pours in a very thin line. I hit it with the IR thermometer to and its sitting @ 350 degrees

your plastic isnt done cooking yet there 3 stages it needs to go through did it or does it go through all 3?

It seemed as though it went through all 3, the third stage is when it becomes clear right? When I pull it out to pour it it pours in a very thin line. I hit it with the IR thermometer to and its sitting @ 350 degrees

was the tacky-ness w/ the lureworks plastic or with the plastic you used before you got the lureworks ?

if it was with another brand it mite not have been stired up enough before you put it in the pyrex?

was the tacky-ness w/ the lureworks plastic or with the plastic you used before you got the lureworks ?

if it was with another brand it mite not have been stired up enough before you put it in the pyrex?

The plastic was lureworks, only plastic I have used so far. They firm up a bit after running them under some cold water.

During the heating or before heating?

Mindhunter, you need to stir it well before you heat it and around half way in the heating process, just when it's starting to gel up good. And remember, stir don't shake. If it's in a gallon container, just kind of rock it back and forth for a minute or two. Also, try letting her go up to around 360 degrees maybe 365. This stuff is pretty heat tolerable. And also you should have some difference after a 12 hour cure time. I hope this helps.

Bass-boys, if you're having trouble with the bubbling when you're using salt, try putting your salt in the oven on a cookie sheet at 150 degrees, or the lowest setting on your oven, for about an hour. If it gets a crust or clumps up, then there's probably some moisture in the salt. I've poured salt out of a container before and seen dust fly off of it and it still have moisture to it. I'm not saying this is going to solve your problem for sure, but it might be worth a try.

Mindhunter, you need to stir it well before you heat it and around half way in the heating process, just when it's starting to gel up good. And remember, stir don't shake. If it's in a gallon container, just kind of rock it back and forth for a minute or two. Also, try letting her go up to around 360 degrees maybe 365. This stuff is pretty heat tolerable. And also you should have some difference after a 12 hour cure time. I hope this helps.

Bass-boys, if you're having trouble with the bubbling when you're using salt, try putting your salt in the oven on a cookie sheet at 150 degrees, or the lowest setting on your oven, for about an hour. If it gets a crust or clumps up, then there's probably some moisture in the salt. I've poured salt out of a container before and seen dust fly off of it and it still have moisture to it. I'm not saying this is going to solve your problem for sure, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks Mike I'll give that a go and see how it turns out

The plastic was lureworks, only plastic I have used so far. They firm up a bit after running them under some cold water.

It seems to take a little longer for the Pourasol to cure. Are you cooling the gelled bait in water after demolding? If it is sticky after an hour or so you need to mix better before pouring. I usually put my baits in our deep freeze for about 10min after pouring to speed the cure up.No problem with tackiness.

there is a chance that my salt does have some moisture in it , it can get very humid here in mich.

I do get micro bubbles but I can work around um most of the time. I have used 20+ gallons of lure works pourasol soft

I sold out most of my pouring stuff & the guy that bought my stuff got a 55 gallon barrel of the pourasol soft to start rite out with,

All,

I posted on this topic a while ago with the whole bubble issue thing. I am just about finished with my 10 gals of soft and hard pourasol. I went to order some more and noticed that they now have medium/soft and hard/medium....I ordered the medium/soft and will try it out...

I did receive a telephone call minutes after my online order from the nice gal that answers the phone there...Cant remember her name....Anyway, I mentioned to her about the bubble issue most of us had in hte beggining of this thread...She told me that they(Lureworks) had a "bad" batch of plastisol, so I dont know if we all fell victim to that or not..

I will let you know if the bubble thing is still going on..

Cliff

Hi I'm new to pouring and I was considering trying out the Pourasol Medium/Soft. I am looking to pour some 3" Big Hammer swimbait. Do you think that the medium/soft will be similar to a real Big Hammer? If not, any idea what might be a good alternative? Thanks.

Cliff- Can you comment on the bubbles?

I choose medium or soft with this in mind.

If I am adding a lot of salt to the bait I use soft plastic

if the bait needs a small amount or no salt I use medium.

But I also have a bottle of softner & hardner on hand at all times to make ajustments when needed.

I have not tried the med/ soft .

Hi I'm new to pouring and I was considering trying out the Pourasol Medium/Soft. I am looking to pour some 3" Big Hammer swimbait. Do you think that the medium/soft will be similar to a real Big Hammer? If not, any idea what might be a good alternative? Thanks.

Cliff- Can you comment on the bubbles?

Dr. Basslove,

There a bunch of posts on this topic of "bubbles" with the lureworks. I make salt and fresh water swimbaits, but I use a mix of the hard and medium soft for saltwater. My freshwater ones I use the med/soft and works well. The bubble issue....I took the advice from here and went to heating the plastisol slow half power. It takes a little longer but I got use to it. The micro bubbles are there, but rise to the top. I use Lee pots to pour so I wait a little longer for the bubbles to rise in the pots no issues.

If you are hand pouring from a pyrex I could see some issues. But guys just spoon the bubbles off the top from what I understand. I made the switch last year and still have my baits in stores here, no compliants.

My opinion, good product at a great price!

Hope this helps,

Cliff