Kris

Question For Those Who Sell Lures

Got a question for those who sell lures either on eBay, locally, etc.

This is more for the guys who repaint cranks and sell...then the guys who custom make them by hand.

What do you stand behind when it comes to repainting cranks? I understand that it would normally cover your paint job and clearing. Anything else?

What about manufacturing defects in the lure that you repainted? I personally don't see how you could back the actually product quality itself.

I only ask this because I did a well known brand name lure for a guy who only now fished it after buying it about 4-6 weeks ago. The complaint is that the bill is crooked causing the lure to flop to the side and will not swim correctly.

He wants to know what I will do about this.

If the bill is crooked it is sooo small that I did not notice it while taping and painting it.

If this was a lure that you had repainted what would your response be?

Thanks.

Edited by Kris

Got a question for those who sell lures either on eBay, locally, etc.

This is more for the guys who repaint cranks and sell...then the guys who custom make them by hand.

What do you stand behind when it comes to repainting cranks? I understand that it would normally cover your paint job and clearing. Anything else?

What about manufacturing defects in the lure that you repainted? I personally don't see how you could back the actually product quality itself.

I only ask this because I did a well known brand name lure for a guy who only now fished it after buying it about 4-6 weeks ago. The complaint is that the bill is crooked causing the lure to flop to the side and will not swim correctly.

He wants to know what I will do about this.

If the bill is crooked it is sooo small that I did not notice it while taping and painting it.

If this was a lure that you had repainted what would your response be?

Thanks.

Did he send you the bait to paint, or is it one you bought, painted and then sold?

This is what I would do:

1. If the bait sold for less than $20, apoligize and refund his money. Let him just keep it.

2. If the bait sold for more than $20, apologize and ask him to send the bait back. Then refund his money.

3. Toss the bait in the water. If it is defeective, toss it out. If it is good, toss it back on e-bay.

Keeping a good rapport and reputation is very important. A twenty dolllar bill is not going to make or break you. I have learned many times over the years, that allot of the customer that break my balls turn out to be some of the best customers I have.

whatever it takes to keep customers happy. we have replaced broken lures after 30 muskies were caught on it. . a little goodwill goes a long way in a competive market place. we once had one come back with tire tracks on it. we replaced it.

at the end of the day you only have your name...... protect it.

I always ask for the bait to be returned no matter what but also refund the money with a apology. Because whether it is a repaint or one of my customs I will know what went wrong with the bait! Some times it is not only the lip but it could be the hook hangers that are out of alinement. And I have even seen where the oval split ring and snaps will not let some lures run correct, thats why all of mine come with standard split rings.

Good Luck!

Jeff

90 day warranty with a receipt. Either a shop or ours. My stuff goes in the ocean. It gets eaten by big fish, beaten off rocks, and thrown in the jaws of some very toothy critters. I can count on one hand a year how many complaints I get. But at the same time I don't offer lifetime warranty. Nobody can. You'd never make money if you did. There's so little to be made with all the competition these days you have to just set yourself apart with the stuff you make. Hence no complaints.

I always ask for the bait to be returned no matter what but also refund the money with a apology. Because whether it is a repaint or one of my customs I will know what went wrong with the bait! Some times it is not only the lip but it could be the hook hangers that are out of alinement. And I have even seen where the oval split ring and snaps will not let some lures run correct, thats why all of mine come with standard split rings.

Good Luck!

Jeff