larryem1221

Gamakatsu 604 Jig Hook Cheaper Ent

New to TU. I recently purchased a new lead mold tip up with screw lock jig mold tuj-6-sla. The mold calls for a gamakatsu 604 extra long aberdeen 90 degree hook. Does anyone know from experince what would be a cheaper alternative hook without modifying the mold.

Larryem,

I do not have this mold but I do have the original which this one was made from wih a few mods. I have researched this and the Mustad #32831 BLN long shank hook is a direct replacement. However it only comes in 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0.

I'm sure all the thinner wire aberdeen hooks will fit as well like EC 570, Mustad 32746 and Mustad 32756.

is the 32831 the same size wire? The Mustad 32831BLN states medium and the 604 states heavy.

thanks

Larryem,

I do not have this mold but I do have the original which this one was made from wih a few mods. I have researched this and the Mustad #32831 BLN long shank hook is a direct replacement. However it only comes in 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0.

I'm sure all the thinner wire aberdeen hooks will fit as well like EC 570, Mustad 32746 and Mustad 32756.

Gamakatsu sizes their 90* hooks a gap size smaller, so looking at them, a 32831 2/0 is nearly identical in shape dimensions to a 3/0 604. The 604 is indeed heavier wire and has a significantly shorter eye leg. Sorry, no TipUp mold to check for fits.

Edited by hawnjigs

I just received mustad 32831BLN hooks to use instead of the Gamakatsu 604. I have the Do-it Tip-up TUJ-6-SLA and the Shake-it SRH-6G-SLA. The 32831BLN hooks DO NOT FIT as shown on Barlow's website. The distance between the eye and the bend is too long.

If anyone out there has a cheaper substitute, please let me know

Gamakatsu sizes their 90* hooks a gap size smaller, so looking at them, a 32831 2/0 is nearly identical in shape dimensions to a 3/0 604. The 604 is indeed heavier wire and has a significantly shorter eye leg. Sorry, no TipUp mold to check for fits.

My apologies, I should have explained "significantly shorter eye leg". A 2/0 32831 interchanges in my 1/8 Shake-it which best stock fit is a 604 3/0. Have you tried fitting one size smaller 32831 than the recommended 604 size?

Would you like to take your skills to the next level? Extending the hook eye slot upward away from the head to fit a longer leg hook isn't that difficult, tho if you're new to cutting with a Dremel a bit of practice on some scrap aluminum might be a good idea. I would use a 1/8" cutter bit, a bottom cutter would be versatile for most hook fit mods.

I started with a Dremel, but now use a mini drill press for more precision control.

Edited by hawnjigs

Of the two molds I had one hook to fit well enough in the largest cavity on the tip up mold.

I looked at modifying the mold but it looks as if I would have quite a bit of led come up under the eye of the 32831 and was not sure of how much effort it would take to remove. Have you done this? Has anyone done this?

thanks

My apologies, I should have explained "significantly shorter eye leg". A 2/0 32831 interchanges in my 1/8 Shake-it which best stock fit is a 604 3/0. Have you tried fitting one size smaller 32831 than the recommended 604 size?

Would you like to take your skills to the next level? Extending the hook eye slot upward away from the head to fit a longer leg hook isn't that difficult, tho if you're new to cutting with a Dremel a bit of practice on some scrap aluminum might be a good idea. I would use a 1/8" cutter bit, a bottom cutter would be versatile for most hook fit mods.

I started with a Dremel, but now use a mini drill press for more precision control.

I actually poured my SRH-6-14 with bismuth-tin alloy yesterday with 2/0 32729 light wire which is very undersize from the designed fit 604 4/0 or 5/0 heavy wire. About 1 jig head out of a set of 6 would have the eye completely encased with much harder than lead pour metal which I snipped off in stages with heavy duty gate shears, tedious but not terribly difficult. The other 5 heads had a minor bleed finger easily snipped off. So, yeah, the more undersize the wire the greater the chance of melt bleed into the hook eye socket. Haven't poured this configuration in lead yet.

If you're not comfortable with modifying eye sockets, you can widen the hook shank channel on the bend side into a fan shape with hand tools. The collarless Tip Up head function probably will not be compromised by the hook shank exiting the head at a slightly different from 90* angle.