cwenbass

Everything I Need For Painting Hardbaits

If i were to buy all the tools needed to paint my own hardbaits, what would that consist of? I am not rich, but i believe that if you buy the best you can that it will be best in the long run. So from start to finish, if i were serious about painting my own cranks, and I was not afraid to spend a few $$, what would I need and how much? Not looking for a starter kit, I would want good stuff and all the tools needed to paint, paint itself, clear coats, detailing, etc.

Thanks

If i were to buy all the tools needed to paint my own hardbaits, what would that consist of? I am not rich, but i believe that if you buy the best you can that it will be best in the long run. So from start to finish, if i were serious about painting my own cranks, and I was not afraid to spend a few $$, what would I need and how much? Not looking for a starter kit, I would want good stuff and all the tools needed to paint, paint itself, clear coats, detailing, etc.

Thanks

Get as good brush with 2 or 3 mm tip. I use master g44 this may not be good to some but works for me. Braided hose, inline air filter/ water trap, compressor if you dont have one. createx paints in opaque colors white black red blue ect. A good range of transpaent( green, red , blue, yellow, purple, silver , gold, orange, torquiose) and pearl colors, iridesent colors.Your colors really depend on what all you paln on painting. Shad colors , blue gills, crawfish or all. i use 2 ton epoxy ( 30min) for the top coat. Cheap paint brushes for the epoxy. (Cleaning kit). simple green,windex, some small brushes from airbrush supplier. frisket paper for stencils or milk jugs work. exacto knife. candy makers foil( silver, gold) 3m spray glue. An understanding wife because it takes some time on the bench to learn how to use the brush with the paints( thining ect)

You pretty much covered it all. Maybe some tulle for making scale patterns and a different clear coat. I use DN and have used D2T before but that stuff is a nightmare. If you don't mix it really good your bait is ruined. DN is kinda hard to store because you need to use bloxygen in it to keep it from curing in the container but once you get past that it would be really hard to go to something else. Also you may want a compressor with a tank on it and get a nicer air regulator/water trap combo with it because the ones that come on the units are not the most sensitive things. Start up cost is around $400 to $500 I would say to get a good start with a decent airbrush.

Tim

You will need to build yourself a spray booth, to suck away those harmful particulates as you work. Createx is not poisonous, but breathing any kind of dust is harmful over time. If you are spraying solvents, then the fan has to be explosion proof. You should stick to createx. You can buy a spray booth, but they are so simple and cheap to make, it seems sacrilage to spend money of such an item for a do-it-yourself project.

More than one airbrush is not essential, but very convenient. You will need some form of junction block, with quick release connectors works well. Strong lighting, preferrably adjustable, will make working small details much easier, especially useful when top coating. quality airbrushes arre rarely sold with the hose. You will need to buy the hose separate and pay attention to the connector types of the hose and the compressor, as you will probably need to buy adapters.

You will need to build a rotating drying wheel, to prevent the slow drying top coat from running and promote an even, level surface. You will need some way to hold the lures while you paint, haemostats etc. Small clips for clamping the scale netting. Bucket of water for cleaning and back flushing.

Dave