Bass maniac

Iwata ?

I was wondering about which one to buy? The revolution for $73 or the eclispe for $126? I know the revolution has the 5mm needle and the eclipse has the .35mm needle and I know that the smaller the needle the finer the detail. But is the eclipse worth almost double the $ ? Can you get the detail out of the revolution? The reason Im asking is that I need to get my paint yet also so if I can get the quality I need for half the price that will leave me money for paint. ;)

I have a revolution BR and it has a .3mm tip on it and works great for everything I have tried. I'm sure the eclipse is a nicer airbrush but the revolution BR is also a great starting out airbrush. I may eventually get an HP Iwata for the finer detail stuff but for now I love the revolution BR. I've never tried the eclipse series so I cant say much about them. Just what I think,

Tim

I can't compare a Revolution B to an Eclipse but I can compare it to a more expensive HP-B and they both are high quality. I'm sure the Eclipse rates just as well because guys who use them like them. As far as Iwata goes, I say pick based on the tip size and features you want and buy with confidence. I was afraid the Revolution B might be a lesser airbrush than my HP when I ordered it because it was cheap at $70. But I was pleasantly surprised. Iwata prices mostly depend on the tip size. The smaller the tip, the more expensive the airbrush because it has to be manufactured with higher precision in order to work properly.

My only question about Iwata quality is about their new entry level brush that I hear is being manufactured in China versus Japan. I'd want to hear some user reviews before I considered that one.

I cant compare between the two as I have an Eclipse and never used the revolution. But the Eclipse is an awesome gun and well worth the money! I own a few guns tho and I can say between the Eclipse and Paasche Talon the Eclipse if far superior in every aspect. With any Iwata you will not be sorry(except that new one as I dont know anything about it).

If I was a begginer I would get the Rev just because of the price point and parts are a bit cheaper too I think. I have a horrible habbit of dropping the nozzle for my eclipse when I clean it and it always dents and gets ruined. At $25 a pop it gets a bit pricey. Plus, while learning to clean and maintain your gun you may damage a part that isnt replacible so learing on something thats a bit cheaper may be a good idea.

Thanks matt! I haven't seen any but can you buy the gravity feed revolution with a .3mm needle or can you get that needle? From what I have seen on here the .3mm is about the best so can you get the fine lines with the .5mm needle? Do you have to remove the tip? A few weeks before I was told about this site I went ahead and ordered a $100 kit off eBay! It's a no name one from china or something. I had played around with it and did a few baits that turned out fairly well for the first ones so I'm hooked and wanna upgrade already and might as well get what I'm gonna need to do the best job! Btw the cheapo has a .3mm tip!

Well I am not familiar with the Revolution but I just did some research on it and it looks like they have 2 gravity fed guns that fit what you are looking for. The one with the large cup has a .5 needle and the one with the small cup has the .3 needle. so I looked at the parts pages on Coastal Airbrush and TCP Global and it looks like they offer both needles so I would imagine that they are interchangible. I am sure someone with a Revolution will reply shortly.

Revolution HP-BR = .3 size tip

Revolution HP-CR = .5 tip

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=33

Coast is my favorite place to order from and they match or beat anyones price.

You could call Coast Airbrush or a similar distributor and find out what parts are needed to make the .5mm tip into a .3mm tip. It will be more than just the needle, I'm sure! One thing that differentiates Iwatas from some other brands is their screw-in paint nozzles. Upside is the nozzle is more precisely aligned than a drop-in cone like you find on many other brands. Downside is the nozzles are expensive - the .2mm nozzle on a HP model is more than $40.

If you are happy with your .3mm Chinese a/b, I say no harm, no foul. If it works well, you have a .3mm a/b so do you need another? Personally, I think a .3mm tip (eg, Revolution-B ) or .35mm tip (eg Eclipse) is really the sweet spot for crankbait painting. .3mm is big enough to shoot basecoats, pearls, and flakes but small enough for decent fades and moderate detail. Tip size is important but it's not the only important thing. How precisely the a/b works to control paint flow and how convenient it is to clean are also important. Parts availability ain't a bad thing to have either. It's the rare airbrusher who won't need a new needle or nozzle sometime.

It's inherently nice to use high quality equipment and yes, it may make things a little easier. If you're using the best, at least you know the screw ups are your fault and not your equipment's <_< JMHO, the main thing that improves your airbrushing over time is practice, the development of control, and just learning the ropes of how to paint crankbaits. That takes awhile regardless of the a/b.

Edited by BobP

You could call Coast Airbrush or a similar distributor and find out what parts are needed to make the .5mm tip into a .3mm tip. It will be more than just the needle, I'm sure! One thing that differentiates Iwatas from some other brands is their screw-in paint nozzles. Upside is the nozzle is more precisely aligned than a drop-in cone like you find on many other brands. Downside is the nozzles are expensive - the .2mm nozzle on a HP model is more than $40.

If you are happy with your .3mm Chinese a/b, I say no harm, no foul. If it works well, you have a .3mm a/b so do you need another? Personally, I think a .3mm tip (eg, Revolution-B ) or .35mm tip (eg Eclipse) is really the sweet spot for crankbait painting. .3mm is big enough to shoot basecoats, pearls, and flakes but small enough for decent fades and moderate detail. Tip size is important but it's not the only important thing. How precisely the a/b works to control paint flow and how convenient it is to clean are also important. Parts availability ain't a bad thing to have either. It's the rare airbrusher who won't need a new needle or nozzle sometime.

It's inherently nice to use high quality equipment and yes, it may make things a little easier. If you're using the best, at least you know the screw ups are your fault and not your equipment's <_< JMHO, the main thing that improves your airbrushing over time is practice, the development of control, and just learning the ropes of how to paint crankbaits. That takes awhile regardless of the a/b.

Hey Bob, I should have touched more on this but yes there is more to changing the size but not much. I changed my talon from .3 to .5 so I would have a base/flake gun as it doesnt compare to my eclipse. all that was needed was the needle, nozzle and cap and its good to go... should be the same for the iwata.