RiverMan

Connecting Motor Shaft To All-thread

I'm working on a new dryer and wondered if anyone has found a good way to connect the electric motor drive shaft to a piece of all thread? In the past I have welded them together but I just wondered if someone had a better way.

thx.

Jed

The new rotisserie motor I got had a square out put drive so I found a peace of square aluminum tubing the same dimensions as the drive. Then drilled the center out to the diameter of a peace of threaded rod. I flattened one side of the rod and drilled and threaded a hole in the side of the square tubing for a set screw. Still holding strong.

For my old motor was a round out put drive I just flattened both drive and rod about an inch on one side then used a peace of round hollow aluminum tubing with drilled and threaded holes for set screws on both ends.

Either way worked fine for me.

If the motor gives out I dont have to break it down I just remove the drive shaft screw and thats it.

Edited by hillbilly1

I used a 3/4" solid nylon rod that I drilled out one end to fit the OD of the motor shaft and the other end to fit the OD of the threaded rod. Just make it fit a little tight so you have to thread it into the nylon. It also makes it easy to take apart if need be.

Some great ideas, thanks!

I got a 3 ft wooden dowel from Home depot for 0.69 or so. Shaved it down a bit and D2T'd it right in. I screwed in an eye at the other end and have several extensions ready when needed. I have wooden clothes pins also epoxied on the dowels (saw that done here). When I clear a bait i hold them with hemestats. The clothes pins hold the hemostats that holds the baits.

Jed,

I just used a rubber grip holder from a ball point pen. My setup is a microwave motor connected to piece of dowl. No cost as I had the pen local and it fits neat enough on both ends for there to be no slip.

Angus

R.M -- similar to Angus etc, I have recently made tube collars for the drive on a rotisserie for the Bar BQ (used a microwave motor)-- To get a strong 'coupling' get some Aluminum tube slightly smaller than the all thread, then with a 3 cornered file, file 3 tapered flutes in the all thread similar to a thread tap, then screw it into the Al tube where it will easily cut a tight and parallel thread.

Next is the motor shaft size, if it is not the same as the 'all thread', aluminum tubing comes in neat slip fit sizes (into each other), so just go up or down from the original size until it fits and pin/ loktite the pieces togeather -- If the motor shaft is round, grind/ file a flat on it, find a small machine screw and again file 3 flutes in the screw and tap it into the side of the tube and then down onto the flat face of the motor shaft , dab a bit of silicone on it to stop it vibrating loose.

Sounds bodgy I know, but these home made 'taps' make a nice neat, tight thread in Al, I do it on my boat all the time, best part is you can pull it apart without busting anything.

If you have the 'taps', all the more easy.

Should take about 15 mins :blink:.

Pete.

Pete

I took a long bolt and ground the head square so it fits inside the rotis motor... then screwed the bolt into a 1x1 piece of wood and epoxy it in there. That way is just a preassure fit into the motor. No glue or anything holds it in just the pressure from it fitting into my base, so if I need to take it apart its cake. Simple but works good. I dont have any pics of the drive but here is the whole thing. can hold 40 cranks or 16 swimbaits.

ba955e42.jpg

Edited by Matt Moreau