jkustel

Making Bait Lighter....

Do you think 2lb. foam used as a filler is too light or should I opt for the 3 or 4....hahahha...never ends....these details are minor ...I will post my final results on the prototypes.

If you are only using it internally as a filler, the 2Lb would be enough. I am not sure if it is available as a two part, I have only seen it in the spray cannisters for wall insulation injection. You will have no control with the cannisters and it is going to get messy.

All you need is to support the surface of the void, so that you can repair the surface with filler. Why not just roll a ball of tissue paper and stuff that in.

Dave

If you are only using it internally as a filler, the 2Lb would be enough. I am not sure if it is available as a two part, I have only seen it in the spray cannisters for wall insulation injection. You will have no control with the cannisters and it is going to get messy.

All you need is to support the surface of the void, so that you can repair the surface with filler. Why not just roll a ball of tissue paper and stuff that in.

Dave

Dave,

Great minds think alike.

Tissue paper, pushed just below the surface, and made rigid with a drop of crazy glue, and then bondo'd over, is how I fill voids if I've drilled too many ballast holes, or want to lighten part of my PVC baits.

Dave,

Great minds think alike.

Tissue paper, pushed just below the surface, and made rigid with a drop of crazy glue, and then bondo'd over, is how I fill voids if I've drilled too many ballast holes, or want to lighten part of my PVC baits.

Yep, I might try that. For the ones I did today I just filled the holes with mb's and then dropped some superglue. It seemed to work fine for testing. I will use bondo for a lure I'm going to finish properly. The best news for me was that the bait performed like my wood baits in the water....of course with all the benefits of plastic. Again I appreciate all the input guys it definitely helped me arrive at my goal sooner. I really love having absolute control after the bait has been cast to lighten it up using this method because it allows for variances with the casting material that are sometimes out of our control....air infusion, humidity, different batches of resin....I am super pleased to have crossed this hurdle with my sanity intact! It was close! HAHA! I will post some video of the baits as soon as I can comapring a wood bait versus a resin poured bait of the same dimesions and weight and see if anyone can detect which is which in the water. If there are any differences in the action at this point it is really subtle to my eye. Cheers!

John

Yep, I might try that. For the ones I did today I just filled the holes with mb's and then dropped some superglue. It seemed to work fine for testing.

The MB's with super glue is a good method. I use it for tidying ballast holes. Rock hard and can be worked in five minutes. You have to work fast though.

Dave