Vodkaman

Swimbait Pin/eye Hinge Jig

I build my swimbait joints, using the pin/eye method. Although commercial screw eyes are available, I prefer to make my own eyes, usually twisted soft stainless steel, but lately I have been using brass.

The operation that I always dread when making swimbaits, is setting the hinge eyes. Things rarely go perfect. I always seem to get one joint with the gap too large, or one eye sticking out more than the other on one hinge and I never seem to get all the gaps even. What is worse is that there is no adjustment. At least with screw eyes, you can screw in and out until you get the gaps perfect.

I have been toying with the idea of a jig for this operation for quite some time and after screwing up the tail section gap on my latest lure a couple of days ago, I decided that the jig needs to be built now. I have just glued my first set of hinges with the jig and it worked perfectly. This is what I came up with:

Dave

• Like 1

Nice solution you've come up with Dave. The jig looks great as well. Will have to remember this one if/when I decide to tackle swimbaits.

Ben

Thanks ben. Not too many people stray into this forum. My next post here, will be titled 'free sex for lure builders':rolleyes:

Dave

Nice solution to a tricky job V-man.It sucks to get that far along in a process and have a failure.I've read on other sites that pretty compitent builders won't build jointed baits because of the failure rate.I can't help thinking that the hinge issue is the cause and your idea may be the cure.Well done.

Nice solution to a tricky job V-man.It sucks to get that far along in a process and have a failure.I've read on other sites that pretty compitent builders won't build jointed baits because of the failure rate.I can't help thinking that the hinge issue is the cause and your idea may be the cure.Well done.

Glad you liked it.

I agree about the difficulties. I mark out and drill all the through holes in the square block, before I even cut the shape out. This cuts down a lot of rejects with hours of work in them. The slots still have to be cut though.

Dave

That is one elegant jig! I know you hate it when things aren't right, and your jig will eliminate joint problems, for sure.

And a video with a sense of humor music theme to boot!

As for the "free sex for lure builders" video, I've been married three times, and have five kids. There is no such thing as free sex! :wink:

great video of the jig you might try to market it im sure swimbait makers will love to have it to install the pins like you did

Very nice of you to say so.

I think the market for such a device would be very small. Plus the postage from Indonesia would be inhibiting to say the least. I posted this design as my solution to a tedious problem in the hope that it might help a fellow TU'er or even inspire someone to tackle their own tedious problems.

Dave