Mesabooger

Good Airbrush for lure spraying

I currently use a couple of Badger 150's. I have had mine for over 10 years now and No problems. I originally bought my setup for about $79.00 to $89.00 about 10 years ago. AND it looks as if its almost the same things enclosed as the Paashe boxed unit for $59.00. The only difference is that there are more items in the Paashe unit than what I got. I had to purchase a Fine Head and Needle for my Badgers. Paashe includes theirs in the set. I am now in the need of a new Fine needle and a new head setup. The costs on that replacement alone is going to be HALF the price of a new Paashe. I noticed the $59.00 for the Paashe setup on Bear Air. I might sell off my Badgers and go with the Paashe. As mentioned above... YOU cant beat that price! My question to the guys out there though is I am in need of a quick release system for my guns. What is everyone using on that. Heres what happens for me. I work out of my basement and no sink or running water is there. So I have to disconnect my gun to run it upstairs to clean the gun out. While Im doing that of course the compressor is on and running all the while blowing fast air out the hose. So Im after your thoughts on an inexpensive quick release system for my guns. And How many are using a manifold system? Any info would be appreciated, I do believe that the Badger 150 and Paashe are comparable and do the same thing, but it looks as if soon Im gonna go with the Paashe VL! I have gotten 10 good years out my Badgers, and other than replacing needles and heads, they have been great! For all the money Ive made airbrushing, I have paid my guns over and over! BUT that $59.00 is very enticing for a new Paache setup. Cody

I've got a Bachelors in illustration and headed up the paint department in a model shop for several years. I've spent a lot of time behind an airbrush.

I've got 3 Paasche's. And 1 Aztek. The Aztek airbrush is by far my favorite brush. Good ergonomics, easy to clean, easy to maintain, very few parts, sprays very well. It's a great brush. When you need to spray a heavier medium, you just need to unscrew the tip and put a new one in. The needle is contained in the tip. You can even get a Spatter tip for spattering paint. A variety of gravity feed paint cups are available. Very small diameter, unobtrusive hose. It's suitable for fine illustration to model work. They have many models up to small spray guns. Haven't used my Paasche's in years. 1 of them was twice the cost of my Aztek.

For day to day, "blue collar" painting...Paasche VL or Millenium hands down. I paint virtually every day with these two brushes with minimal swearing, and quality results (if I can say that without being conceited). the Milennium is a little nicer to use for finer detail and color blending, just because I can hold it a little better. The VL is my workhorse for basecoating, spraying solid sides, bellies, backs. Parts are basically interchangeable.

The V is a good brush for very fine detail. Use it for some spotting, color error "fixes", craw shells, etc. Much finer needles, requires more PSI and thinner paint.

Hard to beat a VL or Millenium with a number 3 assembly and needle for most work. The Badger's (also T&C now, I guess) and Iwata's are good brushes, just not sure they are that much better.

Give a lot of attention to your compressor as well. A cut rate, noisy compressor will ruin more paint jobs than your airbrush ever will. Definitely need a moisture trap and regulator. Foot switch for on & off is very nice too.

Best of luck.

Alright, looks like I'm going to go for the VL. You folks make some nice lures so I trust your judgment. Nothing against the Aztek, but by the shear numbers of people who vote for the VL, that's what I'm going with. I'll report back after I've gotten my setup and show some of my "work"....just please dont laugh. Thanks

Dave made a good point about the compressors. If you are in the market for one, DO NOT buy the one I have. It was a gift from my wife for X Mas It works fine, but WAY too noisy. It is a Campbell Hausfield , or something like, Joe that from Home Depot.

Mesabooger - No problem...The VL is a nice airbrush. And it will perform well. I've got one myself, along with a VSR90 and an H. Its just that none of them are nearly as user friendly as the Aztek.

If you are looking at compressors - get an airbrush one. Or, get an industrial and put it in the garage and buy air tanks to bring your air inside.

As I mentioned on one of the other posts > If you want to shop and compare airbrushes, understanding the operation, types,paints,airbrush part lists,compressors, ect.ect. Then call 1-800-bearair and request a free booklet called" The Airbrush Bible". This will give you a clear understanding of what your up against in compitition of one brand VS the other and you can buy direct if the price is right. Depending on what suppliers are near you> it may be cheaper for a local visit. Example> I live down the road from Wildlife Colors Paint Co. (so its cheaper for me to shop at home for this paint then to order it.) No shippping fees are listed so thats something you'll have to think about. So all the leading companies are at your fingertips and thats how I like it!

Took the advice from the board and bought a paasche vl. Absolutely love it. Still getting the hang of the two stage thing but is quite the tool. Had a very cheap no name brand that mixed air and paint at the end of the brush. This brush will give me much more detail for sure. Thanks.