jeb

spray painting poured crankbaits

I need some help with how to spray paint poured cranks. I've got my lure coated with devcon 2-ton epoxy, but now I am starting to try and paint it for the third time! All I want is a pearl white crankbait, but after my third coat last night the paint on the lure started to slide off the lure and now I'm back to sanding it down to the devcon. I'm trying to use thin coats, but I seem to be getting a lot of bubbles, and spraying the crank any closer puts too thick of a coat on. The spray paint I am using is by Tamiya. Should I try another kind? I'm thinking about getting an airbrush, but have never used one, so I don't know if the paint will apply any easier. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also with a pearl white color is a base coat necessary?

Thanks,

jeb

Jeb,

The problem isn't the paint or the brand. It's the surface of your lure. If you are using any type of expanding foam they require alot of devcon to seal all the tiny pinholes. Additional layers of base coat will not cover them. :(

When the lure comes out of the mold it's best to let it breath for a few hours before applying devcon. This allows any remaining gasses to escape from the foam reactions.

When you seal the lure with devcon use 2 coats. The 1st layer should be thin and forced into the lures surface with pressure from the brush. Push it in as you are applying it.

When you have the first layer of epoxy on and cured give it a light sanding and apply a second coat to fill any remaining pin holes.

The second coat should be a little thicker and smoothed on. Use a little force on the brush but concentrate more on smoothing the surface.

With the second layer cured, lightly sand and base coat with flat white.

The more time you allow between these steps the better as it allows everything to dry.

When you paint your lure and are ready to seal it with a top coat DO NOT use a heat source to smooth the epoxy. Foam or featherlite lures have alot of tiny air pockets in them. The heat causes the air to expand and causes fish eyes or large bubblegum-like bubbes to form around the diving bill.

Let me know if you have anymore problems or need help trouble shooting.

Tight lines,

Shawn