thundercat

New To Tu

Hey guys, I am new to tackle underground and found this site while searching for info on building my own crankbaits. I have ordered a bunch of blanks, hardware, Createx paints, DN S81 Clear and a Iwata HP-C a-brush. I already had a small compresor and am itching to get started. Months ago I created quite a few scetches of what type of baits that I want to make but wanted to run it by the pros and see if I missed anything for a starter kit. I plan on spraying the DN S81 lure clear and also wanted to know what is best for cleaning the gun after shooting clear as well as what to use between cotes of createx.

I am looking to use some sort of chrome base- Has anyone tried hydrocoating the baits in a holographic or chrome before paint and clear?

I also wanted to ask if anyone has experimented with adding different pearls to your clear and spraying multiple coats to get different color looks on the bait from different angles (kinda what you see on a vehichle depending on which direction you look at it in the sun?

Thanks,

David

Hey guys, I am new to tackle underground and found this site while searching for info on building my own crankbaits. I have ordered a bunch of blanks, hardware, Createx paints, DN S81 Clear and a Iwata HP-C a-brush. I already had a small compresor and am itching to get started. Months ago I created quite a few scetches of what type of baits that I want to make but wanted to run it by the pros and see if I missed anything for a starter kit. I plan on spraying the DN S81 lure clear and also wanted to know what is best for cleaning the gun after shooting clear as well as what to use between cotes of createx.

I am looking to use some sort of chrome base- Has anyone tried hydrocoating the baits in a holographic or chrome before paint and clear?

I also wanted to ask if anyone has experimented with adding different pearls to your clear and spraying multiple coats to get different color looks on the bait from different angles (kinda what you see on a vehichle depending on which direction you look at it in the sun?

Thanks,

David

David, I don't know anyone who shoots DN S81; most brush it or dip it. It's solvent based so protection against organic solvents while spraying it are highly recommended if that's the route you want to take. You can clean it with acetone or lacquer thinner. Shoot clear water out of a spray bottle to clean the a/b between shots of Createx, including backwashing the brush by holding your finger over the tip while activating the trigger. There have been no reports of chrome paints that work to anyone's satisfaction here on TU, and the ones considered are very expensive. Never heard of hydrocoating but if you have experience in it, there are lots of guys here who would like to hear about what it is, how to do it, and see the results in the Gallery. Most of us use foil when we want a chrome look. A majority of TU'ers only shoot water based acrylic paints, so mixing pearls in a solvent based clearcoat is also something that hasn't been reported. There are flip-flop acrylic paints available commercially.

Edited by BobP

You might want to consider building a spray booth. Even using water based paints like createx, without an extractor system, your work area will get a coating of paint dust and you will be breathing this dust in. Createx is not poisonous, but any kind of dust in your lungs is a bad thing. It does not have to be a fancy construction. I have seen spray booths made from cardboard boxes and they work just fine.

Not so sure of the validity of hydrocoating for lure coating, especially chrome. There was not a great deal on the web for this subject, but I found this: http://www.emblempros.com/hydrocoating_info is this the process that you had in mind?

Dave

You might want to consider building a spray booth. Even using water based paints like createx, without an extractor system, your work area will get a coating of paint dust and you will be breathing this dust in. Createx is not poisonous, but any kind of dust in your lungs is a bad thing. It does not have to be a fancy construction. I have seen spray booths made from cardboard boxes and they work just fine.

Not so sure of the validity of hydrocoating for lure coating, especially chrome. There was not a great deal on the web for this subject, but I found this: http://www.emblempros.com/hydrocoating_info is this the process that you had in mind?

Dave

I'd sure like to see a video of how that is done. It sounds facinating.

I saw it on a gun show a couple of years back. They put a piece of the pattern in hot water with a activater and dipped the stock and barrel in the solution and then removed it and the camo pattern was transferred on to the gun. neat process. so I would say it should work on cranks. IMO

Jeff

Thanks,

David

Have you fiqured out how you want to store the s81? You sound like you've done a lot of research but I just ordered the same thing myself. I know it tends to go bad in the can if proper steps aren't taken. I think the best method sounds like tapping the can with a sheet metal screw and leaving the lid on. You're going to love that HP-C. Nice little pistol. I'd recommend getting some Createx 4011 flash reducer. Works great. Oh yeah keep in mind you can always shoot transparents or candies over holographic lure tape. And I hear Brite Bak sticky foil is really good.

BobP, Thanks for the response. I ordered the DN clear and planned on using a washer and screw in the bottom of the can to dispense but I wanted to spray it, but I will see how it does with the brush or dip. I may have to use automotive clear when I get a batch ready to spray and have access to a booth. Ill just have to experiment to see how it goes. I have been looking into House of Kolor for a chrome, I will post back with the result of that. My brother owns a business called Hydo Creations and he does the hydrocoating at his shop but doesnt have a true chrome coating but just about everything else in the way of coatings so I may try a few patters. This is a great site and thanks again for the feedback- I cant wait to get started with some custom lures.