atijigs

Ultra Minnow Spinner Bait Is Tough To Pour

I usually can get any mold to pour. This Ultra Minnow spinner bait has to be poured with pure lead. (IMO). I am a fan of soft lead for pouring but that is not what I had in the pot at the time. I have poured for years so I know most of the tricks but this one beat me today. Next time will be with pure lead because I hate breaking down mis- cast spinner baits, I did a search on this and found others with a similar problem. I think the solution will be pure alloy. I will report back in a while when I try it again. angry.gif

Edited by atijigs

I've been pouring the ultra minnow heads since they first came out in the jig version. I promptly modified it to pour spinnerbait heads from 1/8 oz up to 5/8 oz. I use wheel weights and a ladle and have only had problems with the 1/8 oz. heads. Finally dremeled out the collar end to resolve issue. I do smoke all my molds prior to use and make sure my ww is really hot. Good luck. Tony

try a very hot mold, cavities coated with light spray of mold release and a high tin content alloy like wheel weights, make sure your hooks are warm too by seating them and using a torch on the mold sides. Keep your pot hot and alloy clean and pour with some head, from the spout if you can on a bottom pour. Soft lead melts at a very high temp and has poor mold filling out qualities. Don't believe for a minute that soft (pure) lead is the best for casting jigs with details, it ain't. Make sure your mold is clean before you apply the mold release. If you use release over a dirty/oily mold, it will never work well. When in doubt, boil the mold in water with dish detergent and rinse very well and dry. trace oil in a cavity is not your friend. If you can get your hands on some linotype, your jigs will look like jewelry, high tin/antimony is the trick, this stuff flows into the cavity details. Good luck, you will figure out a technique that works and get into a groove.....