barr5150

Painted Eyes?

Up until now I've only used the glue on 3-D eyes. The cranks I have been using all had a recess for them making it pretty easy. Problem is I just repainted some rapala floaters and without the recess the eyes would stick out way too much. Looks like I need to learn how to piant them. I searched the board and didn't see what I was looking for. Any ideas?

I use a stencil to paint my eyes. Luckily I have a leather punch that has multiple size punches on it and these are used to punch different size holes in a clear piece of plastic. Then just spray through it with the airbrush. One size for the background and a smaller size for the pupil. The clear plastic makes it easy to see that your putting the eye where you want it. Just wipe the excess paint off the clear plastic between each shot.

Ben

RayburnGuy gives you one good way when using airbrushing baits. Some who use brushes will use different sized nail heads or drill bits (chuck end) and dip into paint and dab on the bait. Then clear coat.

Edited by EdL

I use cotton swabs from Walmart for the eye (they are wound with cotton more tightly than Qtips), and some small daubers I bought from lurepartsonline.com a few year ago for the pupils. But as you see from the posts, lots of things will work.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was gonna go with the stickers but I think hand painting them adds something?

I actually prefer painted eyes on many styles of baits rather than the 3D stick-on eyes. Gives the bait a more "traditional" look and I can't tell any difference as far as what the bass think.

P4100004.JPGP4100010.JPG

I actually prefer painted eyes on many styles of baits rather than the 3D stick-on eyes. Gives the bait a more "traditional" look and I can't tell any difference as far as what the bass think.

I totally agree painting is the best. I feel that drill bits are the best way to go as well. You have the option of many sizes and if you want the eyes to pop out just leave more paint on your bit. super easy. here is a bullfrog test I did with just one drill bit and some black paint....

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

P4100010.JPG

P4100004.JPG

post-26262-0-28177300-1302541591_thumb.jpg

post-26262-0-14193200-1302541613_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProP-JunKie

i made some from a slick50 sticker i got with some oil had 2 diff size hole punchs a reg size and a small size used the reg. size one for the outter size stuck it on with super glue,punched out a black spot from the letters on the sticker with the small punch applyed on top of the first spot and had two eyes that look like store bought

I dont remember his name but the TU member from Europe who makes all the glider baits paints some really cool eyes using the stickers. You can watch how he does it on You Tube. I tried it on a pike bait and it works.

Search for "Solarbaits" on You Tube, he has some good videos for those interested.

For most of my poppers I have a sign writer cut white and black circles out of vinyl... I also get them to add application/transfer tape aswell. On the lures below I use a old air brush needle (fat end) to dot a white dot on the black pupil part of the eye for another dimension/light reflection thingy, helps with catching fishermen.

BomberYFT.jpg

Edited by ReelAppealLures

I came across some baits I painted about 10 or so years ago, back when everything I did was by detail brush or nail polish. When it came time to do the eyes a trick I learned was dab on the base eye color with a brush or q-tip, then while the paint was still wet add a drop in the middle or off center if you wanted the bait looking up or down. The Drop would self level in the wet base giving it a 3d look, then once it dried the eye would stand up slightly off the bait giving it the same contour as the stick on eyes or a little less. You have to play with it a little to find the right size dabs and drops and consistency for the paint, but once you figure it out it's quite easy.

Tight Lines, bb