Bass maniac

Splatter Marks

I was wondering how to get the bigger splatter marks like some guys use around the cheeks of a gill pattern? I have tried the tooth brush thing but that only gives the smaller dots and an few medium size ones. I have also tried to shoot low pressure out of the gun but nothing comes out. I am using folk art acrylics thin down pretty good to the consistancy of skim milk and I took my tip off also but still nothing. Any help would be appriciated thanks.

You will need to find a drinking straw that will fit over the end of your airbrush. A piece approximately one inch long works for me. Be sure to cut the ends square. You will need to play with the air pressure and volume of paint being sprayed to achieve the size spots your looking for. The distance you hold the airbrush from what your painting also comes into play as does the size nozzle your using. This isn't something I can give you step by step instructions for as there are quite a few variables that I've outlined above. Pete (Hazmail) is the one who taught me and you can probably find more about this process using the search feature. The best thing I can tell you is to give it a try on a piece of cardboard, or whatever you have available, and play with the air pressure settings and how much paint your spraying. Paint will collect inside the straw and will be forced out in varying size droplets.

Ben

You can also just use your airbrush to do these splatter effects. I don't thin out the paint and turn the air pressure down to about 1-3psi. You need a double action airbrush to do this. I pull the lever back all the way without using an air pressure and just barely push down to put a little air to the paint and splatter it. Then I release it and repeat. It works really good for me and if you want bigger marks I just take the first cap off my airbrush. I use an Iwata Revolution BR. I would give this a try first you can control were it goes much better for me. Hope this helps,

Tim

Hey thanks for the tip Ben I'll give a try and let you know how it works! Thanks again.

Something I forgot to mention was to play around with the trigger while your spraying. Don't just press, pull back and hold. For lack of a better word, just flick it with the tip of your finger. And like timbojrjr said you'll need a double action airbrush to make this work.

Ben

I was wondering how to get the bigger splatter marks like some guys use around the cheeks of a gill pattern? I have tried the tooth brush thing but that only gives the smaller dots and an few medium size ones. I have also tried to shoot low pressure out of the gun but nothing comes out. I am using folk art acrylics thin down pretty good to the consistancy of skim milk and I took my tip off also but still nothing. Any help would be appriciated thanks.

Some custom auto painters use a popsicle stick held at an angle right below the tip, and point it toward the target. In one of the Createx DVDs a guy did this to get a speckled effect on a granite slab...my be too "clean" for you if you're looking for true splatter.

Some custom auto painters use a popsicle stick held at an angle right below the tip, and point it toward the target. In one of the Createx DVDs a guy did this to get a speckled effect on a granite slab...my be too "clean" for you if you're looking for true splatter.

This is the technique I've used for years as a custom airbrush effect....works great for a rock or granite effect and works fine for crankbaits....you just need to play with air pressure, and the angle of the popsicle stick to get the right amount of paint build up on the stick which in turn gets you different splatter effects....Great trick.

Another technique is the same as the toothbrush trick but use something more like those little metal handle acid brushes they sell at discount tool stores.....they throw a much different pattern then a toothbrush........or try cutting a few bristles from a straw floor broom and then tape them into a bundle and use that to splatter paint or as a custom made brush for misc effects.

Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't mention I'm using folk art acyrlic paints. Not sure if that makes too much difference but I have been fairly happy with the results so I'm gonna stick with it fir now and I'm using a .3mm tip also. I'm thinking the mix of the two is why I can't get anything to come out with low pressure. I'm thinning it to skim milk consistancy so should work but don't.

Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't mention I'm using folk art acyrlic paints. Not sure if that makes too much difference but I have been fairly happy with the results so I'm gonna stick with it fir now and I'm using a .3mm tip also. I'm thinking the mix of the two is why I can't get anything to come out with low pressure. I'm thinning it to skim milk consistancy so should work but don't.

It'll make a difference. The pigment powder in Createx is much finer and probably more uniform. I'd try straining your paint out, although it might not work if all the particles are equally oversized. But if you have larger particles mixed with smaller in your paint a good strainer from the paint store should help improve flow. Straining is never a bad idea, regardless.

The marks I'm looking to get almost look like a runny water color paint drop on with a eye dropper or something. Lol it's kinda hard to explain but it's kinda dark color in the middle and looks like the paint ran into funny looking circles that are lighter in color on the outside making them sort of two tone. If that makes sense to anyone or anyone knows what I'm trying to accomplish please help! ;)

Thanks for the tips guys good stuff!

The marks I'm looking to get almost look like a runny water color paint drop on with a eye dropper or something. Lol it's kinda hard to explain but it's kinda dark color in the middle and looks like the paint ran into funny looking circles that are lighter in color on the outside making them sort of two tone. If that makes sense to anyone or anyone knows what I'm trying to accomplish please help! ;)

Thanks for the tips guys good stuff!

Do you mean something like these?? http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/1886-harliquin/

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/1841-found-nemo/

If so, there is a description of the process (rough) in the first post.

Pete

Yes Pete that is what I'm looking for thanks! I'm doing smaller cranks alot is it possible to cut the straw in half lenght wise and sorta neck it down to get smaller spots to where you could put a few around the cheeks or back by the gill plate of smaller cranks? How far off the bait do you hold the straw when you start spraying? Thanks Pete!

Yes Pete that is what I'm looking for thanks! I'm doing smaller cranks alot is it possible to cut the straw in half lenght wise and sorta neck it down to get smaller spots to where you could put a few around the cheeks or back by the gill plate of smaller cranks? How far off the bait do you hold the straw when you start spraying? Thanks Pete!

Here's what Pete wrote:

Nemo Blobs Thanks guys again, for the compliments. StoneCoal, it's a bit hard to show how these were painted, as they take a while to paint (I am up to four now). I can tell you though - It is acrylic paint which I water down to about (guessing here) 20/1. The lure has to be pretty flat and held in a vice or something - using a small stick/nail (for bigger lures use a bigger stick) place the thinned color blob on the lure in the shape you want and let it dry. If you move the paint around while drying, you will get overlaps which will be darker shades of the original color.How it works as I am sure you would know, the watered down pigment tends to flow to the edge of the meniscus giving the darker line. Just keep adding colors and turning the lure (when dry) to add colors to top / bottom etc. It will speed up the drying if you use a hair dryer, but be careful as blowing the mix around may give you overlaps/ runs you don't want, then maybe you do, it's pretty random so try anything with it.. If that's not clear enough please ask again and I will try and elaborate. Have fun.pete

If I'm reading it right, he uses a stick or nail, not a straw, and places the dots by hand, not by spraying.

Ahh ok I see what you mean now! I thought it kinda looked like water color in a way. I assume when he says 20-1 he means 20 parts water and one part paint making basically like a water color. That's pretty cool stuff! ;) boy I'm greatful of this site or I would be totally lost I think! Lol

Ahh ok I see what you mean now! I thought it kinda looked like water color in a way. I assume when he says 20-1 he means 20 parts water and one part paint making basically like a water color. That's pretty cool stuff! ;) boy I'm greatful of this site or I would be totally lost I think! Lol

Pete's a genius, and always thinks outside the box. Maybe it's because he's in Australia, and upside down all the time. :lol: