haxx5300

Dipping Tubes

First and foremost, hello all. I am new to this site and tackle making, but really love the idea of being able to fish for pennies on the dollar compared to store products. I have been reading everything possible on here every night until either my eyes hurt or the wife gets mad at me for not paying attention to her lol. There are many great minds here and I cant wait to get into this so I can start utilizing all the information and hopefully start contributing to the wealth of knowledge here. Anyway, here is my question for now. I have read up as much as I can find on here regarding dipping your own tubes and was wondering if anybody knows where I might be able to find a video to see the "technique" to it. The process seems pretty straight forward as far as materials and such, I just would feel alot better about it if I could SEE it done once or twice. I have searched on youtube and cant seem to come up with the right criteria to find what I'm looking for. If anybody out there can lead me into the right direction it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure many will respond but PM Bojon here on the site he is the dipping guru and most have been advised by him.

I have actually already tried to contact him via email with no response. From all that I have read your statements are totally correct, he IS the dipping guru. I figured he may have just dismissed the email as spam or be overloaded helping everybody else. Either way, that is who I am hoping will respond to this the most (not to cut anybody else short of course). Everyone here knows FAR more than I do about this at this point so any and all input is fantastic. Thanks

P.S. I did try to PM him as well and it said his box was full. Bojon, if youre out there and willing to help a newbie I would love it!!!!! LOL

Edited by haxx5300

About this time last year, Bojon and I had many emails discussing tube making via horizontal dipping. Most included photos and text, but I only remember one video clip. I remember, because there was an issue with a driver on my PC. I don't think the video was on the dipping process, I believe it was on tail cutting. I'd have to go back and check.

I went through the process recently. I used allot of that info and adjusted, changed some things to fit or better align with my needs. You will find another recent thread, here on that. I don't plan to make any videos though. ;) The pictures should give an idea of what is needed.

Bojon is the man with the info and his CD (which I have a copy) is in detail on how to do it ... He may be having a little health problems at this time or he would be responding ... Try E mailing him again.

JSC

:)

True,Ive been a bit slow.I will try to help you.I don't know why you are having trouble contacting me.For a short period of time I was dropped from the forum.It is ok now.I know how to dip tubes,and I have helped a bunch get started.The one thing I can't do is get a picture,or movie posted on this site.People have tried to help,but I still can't do it.I'm really bad with computers.You can contact me at kocron@comcast.net Maybe JCS,a trusted friend, could find a way to show one of my videos on this site.My work on the DVD/CD set is copyrighted,but I will give JSC permisson to post pictures,and movie clips from them on this site.That is if he is willing,and able.

• Like 1

True,Ive been a bit slow.I will try to help you.I don't know why you are having trouble contacting me.For a short period of time I was dropped from the forum.It is ok now.I know how to dip tubes,and I have helped a bunch get started.The one thing I can't do is get a picture,or movie posted on this site.People have tried to help,but I still can't do it.I'm really bad with computers.You can contact me at kocron@comcast.net Maybe JCS,a trusted friend, could find a way to show one of my videos on this site.My work on the DVD/CD set is copyrighted,but I will give JSC permisson to post pictures,and movie clips from them on this site.That is if he is willing,and able.

I sure wasn't meaning to make it sound like I was throwing stones in any way. Heck, nobody here owes me any help but its very cool that so many people here are willing to help guys like me. My basic question would be how long(time wise) are the dips?? How many generally?? I understand its a bit of trial and error which is fine but any info I can get prior to is considered an advantage. Also, am I correct with my thinking that multi colored tubes are dipped with the tail color first and then body color with only partial dips?? Lastly, I've been trying to find any pics possible, of which I have come up totally empty, of the "horizontal" technique. Is it the way it sounds and youre just dipping your rods horizontally instead of vertically?? If so, how are you heating the plastic in a container big enough to accept a 4" dipping rod?? Are you transferring your plastic to something different to actually dip them?? Thanks again everybody for your responses and wealth of knowledge.

I sure wasn't meaning to make it sound like I was throwing stones in any way. Heck, nobody here owes me any help but its very cool that so many people here are willing to help guys like me. My basic question would be how long(time wise) are the dips?? How many generally?? I understand its a bit of trial and error which is fine but any info I can get prior to is considered an advantage. Also, am I correct with my thinking that multi colored tubes are dipped with the tail color first and then body color with only partial dips?? Lastly, I've been trying to find any pics possible, of which I have come up totally empty, of the "horizontal" technique. Is it the way it sounds and youre just dipping your rods horizontally instead of vertically?? If so, how are you heating the plastic in a container big enough to accept a 4" dipping rod?? Are you transferring your plastic to something different to actually dip them?? Thanks again everybody for your responses and wealth of knowledge.

I will send you some photos.Send me your email address.I will help you.One picture will be very helpful.Better than me typing with one finger.

Bojon, For some reason it will not allow me to pm you. So here it is for the world to see lol .... sjlitchfield@gmail.com. Thanks for your willingness to help. Steve

I will have to reset my security.Your mail must be going to the junk file.I will be busy the better part of today,but will help you as soon as I can.I make it a habit to help all I can.

Hi Guys

I will attempt to attach the phots and QT movies of dipping ... outcome examples ... splitting tails & etc. This should be Tutorial ... Please feel free to move.

List

1 A dedicated microwave,or a long time on the hot plate to prepaid the plastic.

2 salt water formula plastic,like Lurecraft #500

3 small wooden sticks for stirring,and to act as a heat sink while the plastic is prepared in the microwave,and while it is on the hot plate(buffet burner)

4 dyes,glitter,salt,scent

5 Pam spray,garlic if you can find,or regular

6 rods made of aluminum(preferred),steel,brass,copper

7 rod handles attached with JB WELD

8 Note the handles on the pans are screwed plus JB WELD

9 A tail splitter

Did not get notes under each Pix so please free to ask questions concerning any of them and they will be gladly answered.

JSC

Tried Edit the above. Would not let me do it. ???

Bojon has an excellent CD to go a step further and he loves to help people to "Dip" ..

JSC

Thanks JSC,

Good job.Finnaly got some of my info on this site.I will answer any questions that any one might have about the pictured procedures.

I do have a DVD/CD set that covers horizontal dipping of tubes in great detail,but I don't advertise any more.I feel that this site is not the place to sell my product.All I really want to do is help people.I can help you with enough info that you shouldn't need to buy my DVD..Send me your email address,and I will send a few pictures and movies.Keep in mind that the process is very simple.I have help a great deal of people get started,and I will help you.

RON kocron@comcast.net

• Like 1

Hi

Bojon wanted me to post these Videos.

This is Tail Splitter & Dipping

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

100_2018.mov

100_1992.mov

Edited by JSC

Grind some  1/4 or 5/16 inch bolts off & round the end. Josh at angling ai also has them made from aluminium  for his tube molds & they work great. You could get some aluminium rod & round the ends off  yourself too. Lurecraft also has a tube dipping tool that you can purchase. I made my own from 5/16  bolts & made a round piece of flat steel to connect them to & added a handle. Lots of options to choose from.  I have an angling ai tube ,old too & it does a great job. After injecting them i cut the tails in a homemade press modeled after lurecrafts deluxe tail splitter & then roll them in salt & bag them. When hand dipping without the injection mold i use the same process. Really pretty easy to do either way.

No problem & glad to help. Funny how after getting answers from the guys on here how easy making soft plastics is. I have gotten torn up trying to figure out ways to do  things  & then one of the guys here tell me how & it was hard to believe how simple some of these things can be done & how bad we over think it most times. lol

• Like 1