mjonez23

Soft Plastic Jointed Swimbait

I was fishing today with a little soft plastic jointed swimbait made by storm. I had never seen one before I picked one up at Dick's last week. I was bass fishing today but ended up catching only trout. Needless to say the trout tore up the bait and now i need more. I really like the action. Has anybody else made some of these. It's only about 2in long and is full plastic no metal hinges or anything. Anybody made one before?

http://urbanfishing.webs.com/

Edited by mjonez23

I was fishing today with a little soft plastic jointed swimbait made by storm. I had never seen one before I picked one up at Dick's last week. I was bass fishing today but ended up catching only trout. Needless to say the trout tore up the bait and now i need more. I really like the action. Has anybody else made some of these. It's only about 2in long and is full plastic no metal hinges or anything. Anybody made one before?

With the thousands of lures out there. If you can provide the name of the Storm lure or a picture, maybe someone makes something like it that will work just as good.

Regards

Mark

I may be completely wrong here(but I don't think I am). Those baits are not made with the same material that we use to make baits. I believe that it is some type of vinyl material.

www.novalures.com

Has anyone tried gelflex? I think it would be the perfect material for a project such as this one. It is a lot stronger than plastisol, but obviously a bit stiffer accordingly. But with slotted hinges, it would have the flex required. Not so sure you could heave a 10Lb bass into the boat, by the lures tail, but through rigged, like the pic, it would work.

It is a re-meltable rubber. Works in the microwave oven. It is the material that I used when I was experimenting with vacuum pouring, a couple of years ago. Not as cheap as plastisol, but the baits will last considerably longer. Lots on the web about it.

Dave

I may be completely wrong here(but I don't think I am). Those baits are not made with the same material that we use to make baits. I believe that it is some type of vinyl material.

www.novalures.com

According to the Storm website "Soft PVC material with reinforcing mesh and hard inner core". Sounds like they're overmolding some kind of core material with plastisol.

Basstackle has a swim grub which is sort of along that line (without the mesh and hard inner core of course):

http://www.basstackle.com/product_p/jointedswimjerk.htm

Has anyone tried gelflex? I think it would be the perfect material for a project such as this one. It is a lot stronger than plastisol, but obviously a bit stiffer accordingly. But with slotted hinges, it would have the flex required. Not so sure you could heave a 10Lb bass into the boat, by the lures tail, but through rigged, like the pic, it would work.

It is a re-meltable rubber. Works in the microwave oven. It is the material that I used when I was experimenting with vacuum pouring, a couple of years ago. Not as cheap as plastisol, but the baits will last considerably longer. Lots on the web about it.

Dave

I am thinking about buying another new one and making a quick POP mold and see how it turns out.

Edited by mjonez23