Vodkaman

Vman Lure Testing Tank

Frustrated at losing access to my testing tank (my mates swimming pool) and all my gear stuck in his lock-up until he gets back from a job in Malaysia, I decided to re-assemble my test tank, which has been collecting dust, stacked in the corner of my cave.

Unfortunately, I have no rear yard or garden to locate it, so it is positioned in front of my abode, visible and accessible to all who walk by. But what can they do? Weighing in a close to 1.5 ton, it is not likely that they are going to walk off with it.

The tank is 8’ x 4’ x 1.5’ deep and constructed from 12mm plywood panels and 2” x 1.25” Albesia (light wood) beams. The tank is built in two halves, not joined together and lined with thin polythene sheet, stapled to the rim.

Empty, the tank is very floppy and gives the impression that a disaster is inevitable. But once filled and the struts are loaded up, the structure becomes solid. The first time I built this tank, it remained full for about nine months, so I have confidence in the structure.

The most difficult part is fitting the polythene liner. I had forgotten how tedious this was and could not remember the best technique. I am going to have another go at the lining in a few days. The best way, is to lay the sheet roughly in position, held by a few central staples. Fill with 2” of water, this forces the plastic to where it needs to go. With only two inches of water, you can still manipulate the plastic, to tidy it up and finish stapling.

At 10 seconds per litre, it took close to 4 hours to fill, holding 1350 liters or 358 gallons (US). My neighbors now have me registered as officially crazy, but I had four guys fighting to help me build the tank. They were amazed by the swimming action of the lures, they all has a turn in swimming the baits.

Should any of you decide to tackle this project, I am prepared to put some drawings together and instructions.

tank.jpg

Dave

I have added a submerged video box, to allow closer examination of the lures in action and enhance future productions. I have always been impressed by Jeeps underwater video.

The frame mounts on three threaded studs, with wing nuts, less that two minutes installation. The box is pushed down into the water and 'hooks' under the frame, fixed by a push-on 'C' clamp. The unit has two depth settings: sub surface and 8". The camera freely sits on a shelf inside the box and has open access at all times.

The cameras focussing worked perfectly and I am very happy with the results. Here is a video:

Dave

I have added a submerged video box, to allow closer examination of the lures in action and enhance future productions. I have always been impressed by Jeeps underwater video.

The frame mounts on three threaded studs, with wing nuts, less that two minutes installation. The box is pushed down into the water and 'hooks' under the frame, fixed by a push-on 'C' clamp. The unit has two depth settings: sub surface and 8". The camera freely sits on a shelf inside the box and has open access at all times.

The cameras focussing worked perfectly and I am very happy with the results. Here is a video:

Dave

Excellent Dave,-- to the uninitiated it would look like one of those one lane 'lap pools', just wish I had the room I would be all over this one.

As always , thanks.

Pete

Ay lad tha tanks all reet sithe . Dint notha ad an appreciation of Yorkshire music laugh.gif

Ah! the dulcet tones of a Yorkshire man. Feels just like home, almost.

Just for you lad, just for you.

I played in brass bands for 30 years. I did a lot of concerts with Fodens, to help out when they had players missing, substituting.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I'm so glad I can't speak REAL English!! :mellow:

Pete

My testing tank is a small aquarium. When I was a kid we had an in ground pool. I regret as a young fisherman that I only fished topwaters when I had a great testing tank at my disposal. The testing tank in this thread is a work or art. We used to build hockey rinks in the back yard trying to get plastic and borders to hold water an inch deep. That tank is a work of art in English or any other language.

My testing tank is a small aquarium. When I was a kid we had an in ground pool. I regret as a young fisherman that I only fished topwaters when I had a great testing tank at my disposal. The testing tank in this thread is a work or art. We used to build hockey rinks in the back yard trying to get plastic and borders to hold water an inch deep. That tank is a work of art in English or any other language.

wow nice tank. have you seen the cameras that allow you to go 10 feet down and it still records audio and video. i have thought about picking on up myself for differnt applications.

wow nice tank. have you seen the cameras that allow you to go 10 feet down and it still records audio and video. i have thought about picking on up myself for differnt applications.

Glad you liked the tank.

Yes, I have been following the progress of those little cameras with interest. I have seen some spectacular vids on the web, of tuna and sailfish taking baits, with these cameras. If I did a lot of trolling, I think I would have bought one by now.

Dave