Jump to content
Swimbait V-joint Experiment
49 replies to this topic
Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:22 AM
Vodkaman, Check your inbox.
By the way it is a four segment bait made of resin with a fibbet tail. There is a fine line between looseness of joints and action. To loose and you will never get the ballast correct to keep it from rolling. Too tight and you will have to put a brick on it and burn it though the water to get it to swim. To me the eye screw and pin joint at best will give you the action of a triple trout. And that is fine cuz its a damn good bait. But to me the piano hinge allows you to work the bait slow or fast, and has a slicing action on the pause, less of a mechanical look plus no gaps.
I have been working on some other joint ideas but havent gotten around to finishing. Got a little side tracked on manufacturing and materials and other ideas.
Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:50 AM
Mark - I am happy with the movement of 4 sections, but the extra sway from that fifth section tail is very nice too.
I am planning a 15" snake lure, which will have seven sections. I am going to see if I can get it to swim with the head out of the water, for a touch of realism. I do forsee problems with this design idea, but it has to be tried.
Nitro98 - good points on the hinge gaps. I found that the slightest burr or rough edge can destroy the action completely. It seems that the hinge gap is one of the most important control points on a swimbait. Thanks for the PM.
Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:55 AM
Id say it is 1B, 1A is the understanding of volume of your bait vs the volume it displaces and how it relates to your ballasting.
Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:53 PM
Offhand, I'd think that making the first section of the snake bait long enough to let you shape it like a banana, with the head up, but enough body in the water to support it, would be a way that would work without having to go to some sort of lamination of light wood over heavy.
If you attack it like you do all your other projects, it should be fun and enlightening to follow your progress, and I look forward to reports.
I have a rule of thumb for swimbait jointing, at least for four piece swimbait jointing.
When I'm done, the bait should fold into a U when held head down, and the last joint should be very loose. I get them to swim at a crawl if they have that jointing.
Edited by mark poulson, 16 May 2011 - 01:56 PM.
Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:03 PM
I've been trying to decide if this thread makes me want to start some jointed swimbait experiments or dissuades me from the endeavor entirely. Either way, it's a good read, so thanks very much for sharing your results. Valuable stuff.
Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:45 PM
if you make swimabaits you will be doing these experiments one way or another
Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:59 PM
Recently i made a reverse jointed swimbait and it turned out sick..... Just thought i would let you know
Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:12 PM
I am not sure what you mean by reverse jointed. Can you post a pic. A vid would be very nice.
Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:58 PM
Sorry, a forward facing C joint. I say C because it's not really a V
Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:56 PM
Absolutely right, but this type of joint is traditionally called a VEE joint.