tekoutdoors.co

Rc 1.5 Ko Hook Hanger Turned

I just received some RC 1.5's and the hook hangers are turned 90 degrees on the body. I am just wondering what this will do to the performance or will people care to get them like this. These are the knock-offs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tim

I don't think there is anything wrong with that as I know a couple of crankbait makers that do that. I don't do mine that way, but that is me.

Jeff

I don't think there is anything wrong with that as I know a couple of crankbait makers that do that. I don't do mine that way, but that is me.

bellyassydemo.jpg

Above is a diagram that shows the hook combinations.

The left two diagrams show the belly eye turned. You see in the first pic, the hook points are even around the body. The second pic shows the hook loaded opposite. the hook point aimed directly at the body.

The right two diagrams shows the belly eye in the normal, inline with the body attitude. Pics three and four show the two positions that the hook can be assembled. Both have the same attitude to the body.

In theory, pic No1 shows the ideal placement, for reduced hook rash and fish hook-ups. But if you get the hook assembly wrong, you end up with the worst condition, with the hook point aimed directly at the body. Pics 3 and 4, with the belly eye in line with the body, hook mounting makes no difference, so it is impossible to get it wrong.

In practice, the hook has so much movement that I doubt you would notice any difference in rash or hook ups. But 'in the hand', pic No1 looks right.

Dave

I think the "normal" orientation of hook hangers derives from the fact that plastic crankbaits come in 2 halves and it's just easier to orient the hangers along the seam when the halves are welded. A horizontal hanger actually hangs a standard treble hook more equally to both sides of the bait, maybe an advantage. Of course, if you are specifically using VMC Rapala In-line trebles, a horizontal hanger will screw up the alignment again since the hooks are designed to overcome the problem created by "normal" hanger orientation.

On very small crankbaits, you might not like the look of the split ring riding vertically on the belly of the bait, but I wouldn't consider it an issue on a RC1.5. On wood baits, I usually orient the belly hanger in "normal" position, and the tail hanger horizontal. Why? I dunno.... just habit.

btw - nice pics, Dave!

Edited by BobP