bassfearme

Other Options To Color?

I am wondering if anyone had tried coloring their worms with anything except for the normal stuff you buy online. I have craft stores nearby and have ton of different plastic colors avaible but ont want to buy 30 before i find one that works, if any of them do work. Just seeing if anyone has tried this before me and has any tips? thanks

I am wondering if anyone had tried coloring their worms with anything except for the normal stuff you buy online. I have craft stores nearby and have ton of different plastic colors avaible but ont want to buy 30 before i find one that works, if any of them do work. Just seeing if anyone has tried this before me and has any tips? thanks

I see you are new to TU. Welcome aboard!

All of the following have been mentioned at one time or another on this forum:

• Candle dye
  • Powdered makeup
  • Artist's oil paints
  • Crayons
  • Wood stain

Try the search engine with the above to find the specific thread(s).

Always remember - never add anything that is water-based or contains water to hot plastic or plastic that will be heated. Use oil-based products only. Read all manufacturer's labels for contents. If information is unclear or not available either don't use it or contact the manufacturer for details. Water and hot plastic are a no-no.

Good luck.

Rick

Crayons, oil pastels and color blocks for candlemaking have been proven to work. I'm sure there are others but it's a start.

wow thank you both, i just got into making my own worms and figured i might cut a little cost and a weeks wait by buying locally. again thank you

does it stain your hands when your fishing?

I'm currently experimenting with powdered rit clothing dye... seems to work fine sofar, but it does tend to leach out of the baits and stain others if say i lay a red worm on a white one. other than that the fish sure dont complain.

http://www.ritdye.co...r_formula_guide

I'm currently experimenting with powdered rit clothing dye... seems to work fine sofar, but it does tend to leach out of the baits and stain others if say i lay a red worm on a white one. other than that the fish sure dont complain.

http://www.ritdye.co...r_formula_guide

I've tried the rite dye also. Did you add it straight to the plastic or did you cut it with softner or worm oil???? The liquid rite dye is water based and will bubble(found that out the hard way) :unsure: was told it was oil based and even felt like oil base :angry:

Rite dye needs to be "fixed" as I understand it. I used to dye my own fur and feathers years ago and I would "fix" the color with a spoofull of white vinegar. That way the color did not bleed.

I also would use beet juice and strawberry juice.

Don't know how you could "fix" the color in a water-free situation.

www.novalures.com

If you decide to use crayons or wax colors, be sure to shave them into the plastic. It takes forever for a larger piece to melt and dissolve in the plastic. Lumps of wax are a pain when you're pouring.

Also, be sure to stir the plastic really well to get the wax spread evenly, unless you want swirls.

If you decide to use crayons or wax colors, be sure to shave them into the plastic. It takes forever for a larger piece to melt and dissolve in the plastic. Lumps of wax are a pain when you're pouring.

Also, be sure to stir the plastic really well to get the wax spread evenly, unless you want swirls.

Ah, so that's how you make swirls!

If you experiment and find specific color(s) that are "just right" for you, don't buy boxes and boxes of crayons to get the one or few you want. You can special order the 64 count boxes from Crayola which gives you 16 each of up to 4 colors - or a whole box (64 pieces) of just one color if that's all you want.

The Crayola website has a color chart on the Color Box Creator page. Here's the link.. You just need to know the correct name of the color(s) you want.

Rick