mark poulson

Lurecraft Swimbait Fish

I bought a 5" lurecraft RTV swimbait mold. Big mistake. I should have bought three!

It was fun pouring, and I was able to make a liminate, too. The trick, for me, is waiting long enough for the first color to cool enough so the second doesn't just kind of blend into it.

I uses a Falcon 6/0 1/4oz weighted hook, and pinched a big split shot onto the bottom of the hook, behind the factory lead, to get the ballast lower.

It swims well at low and moderate speeds, which is how I use it anyway.

I posted a picture of a 4lb1oz fish I caught with it yesterday, along with the swimbait, in the softbait gallery.

I use Calhoun's soft for all my swimbaits...they swim well and are durable as well. I believe there are no set rules on what plastic to use and all softs and mediums are not equal. :twocents:

I used to use soft as well for my swimbaits. the tails kicked much better at slow speeds.

I live in SoCal, and fish Castaic , Piru, and Pyramid most of the tme.

This mold is super easy to pour (I can do it), and comes out really nicely. I use spray PAM as a release agent, becase the tail is very deep, so I want to be sure it's easy to strip after I pour.

You can do laminates easily, too, because there is enough RTB in the mold to keep the first pour plastic hot until you have time to add the second layer.

Pyramid has both largies and smallies, plus stripers.

It is a fun lake if the weather cooperates. But I've been snowed on there in December and January, which is no fun.

It is the reservoir where the Aqueduct water first enters the SoCal distribution system, and it's level goes up and down 6'+-, depending on how much water is being moved through it.

They also release water to Castaic during the week, to generate electricity, and then pump it back up on the weekends, when power is cheaper, and there is less demand.

The lake is usually an algae green or clear. There are weeds in the early summer that last through fall. There is skiing allowed, and PWC's, so there is a lot of lake lice during the warmer months.

The launch ramp is off Smoky Bear Road, at the head of the creek where the Aqueduct enters the lake, and there can be weak current there if they are really moving water.

The wind blows up there a lot, since it's near the top of the Grapevine, but it is a good reaction lake when the wind blows.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a fun lake...I will have to do some research and see if there is a camp ground so we can take the rv and make a road trip....

Thanks,

Cliff

Cliff,

I'm pretty sure there is camping close to the lake.

Here is a number for the lake:

661 295-7155

If you're planning a family trip, look at Piru, too, now that it's full, and been taken over by Vent. County.

They have onsite camping, and the site is really well cared for. Plus they cut out alcohol at the lake, so there are no drunks raising he!! all night. What you do in your trailer, or camper, is you business. ;)

805 521-1500

They are both water ski lakes, so, if you want to tow a tube, you can.

Have fun.

I posted 2 pics in the softbait gallery of my hook holding rig, if you're interested.

When you see it you'll say, "Dang, that looks easy". That's why I could do it! :lol: Of course, I started out using a solid dowel to hold the hooks, but it left an impression in the plastic, so I started thinking (always dangerous) about how to suspend the hook, and keep it positioned while I pour, and this is what I came up with.

Thanks for the good info...I will put it to use. My post on inserts was inspired by your post but I didn't want to take it over. I had forgotten I had that mold but poured some for my upcoming Guntersville trip. I'm going to make some Poulson specials with the embedded hook now that I see how. Thanks again.

Thanks for the good info...I will put it to use. My post on inserts was inspired by your post but I didn't want to take it over. I had forgotten I had that mold but poured some for my upcoming Guntersville trip. I'm going to make some Poulson specials with the embedded hook now that I see how. Thanks again.

Don't forget to pinch a big split shot on the bottom of the hook. It really helps keep the bait upright on the retrieve.

Good luck at Guntersville! I'm drooling. :drool::drool::drool: