surfk9

Balsa Cranks Screw-eyes/thru Wire ?

Gentleman..have a question about balsa bodies...i've made my own bodies (pine, basswood,redwood,poplar & oak) but am considering purchasing pre-shaped balsa bodies.....can i use screw eyes or do I need to split them in half and thru wire them...seems like it would be kind of sketchy cutting a pre shaped body in half :o ...any suggestions???Thanks surfk9

I have epoxied eye screws straight into balsa and they have held up just fine on fish in the 2-3lb class..you'd be surprized how strong balsa/epoxy can be....Now would I trust that on a fish of a life time,probably not. I have no Idea how big these baits are you've bought and trying to split a pre-shaped bait down the middle could prove to be difficult..You may want to try counter sinking and epoxing a small piece of a hard wood dowle in your baits then screw your eye screws into the dowles..that will give you more than enough holding power..Nathan

Thanks for the replies.....the bodies (which i've yet to purchase) are approximately 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches in a bluegill shape. Believe I'll have a go at both methods..see which works to my satisfaction...thanks again, surfk9

If you're going to epoxy in twist wires, you can make the wood around the hole stronger, once it's drilled, by dripping some crazy glue in and letting it set up. Balsa sucks up crazy glue, and the fibers around the hole will be stronger, for a good bond with the epoxy when you set your hardware.