Cami

Bass Mousse

A Friend of mine, Joe Zaza, wrote a thread about an ingenious Biodegradable Soft Bait on our Italian Self Making Lure Site: Black Bass & Co. The Guy is a great Chef and he transferred his experience from the Restaurant Kitchen to the Bass Fishing.

Instead plastic, its base is the natural Arabic Gum.

Recipe for 6 worm (senko type):

• 2 table spoons of water;
  • 1 ts of seed oil;
  • 3 sheets of gelatin (isinglass);
  • 1 1/2 coffee spoons of powder Arabic Gum;
  • Food liquid colors.

Modus Operandi:

• Put the sheets of gelatin inside a cup of water for 20’…
  • … after that put them inside a metal pot;
  • Add the 2 spoon of water;
  • Turn on the fire at the minimum, your mousse must not reach no more than 50 °C;
  • You have to stir the gelatin till it will be dissolved;
  • Then add the spoon of oil;
  • Stir quickly till the liquid change in a matt color;
  • Now you can put a coffee spoon and half of gum;
  • You have to stir till all powder lumps are dissolved;
  • Finally you can add some drops of food color (for black let use black squid) and your preferred scent (water based or oil it does not mean);
  • Pour the liquid in your mould;
  • Put the mould inside the refrigerator for 15’;
  • Leave worms for 30’ at room temperature;
  • To obtain a really stiff worm head for hooking purpose and dynamic soft body, the Chef suggests to wrap the body with a nylon film, instead the head must be left free at the room temperature at least for 24 hours.

This worms can stay in a Plano no more than 1 month, after that some traces of mold can appear, but you can re-melt them without any problem.

Here you are his cooking video:

He has already caught some Bass with these biodegradable and natural lures and not only Bass …

Great Joe.

Bye

Cami

• Thanks 1

@TroutSupport, I agree with you completely. This is fun and it would be great to keep PVC out of our waters.

Last night I tried this recipe

12.0grams (4 tsp) gelatin

3.0grams (½ tsp) glycerol

60ml (¼ cup) hot water

3.0grams Morton Tender Quick

I added the Tender Quick as a preservative and hoped it would increase durability. However it seems to disolve in tap water rather fast.  I then took a sample lure and put it into water with some tannins disolved in it, and the lure disolved really fast. The water temp was probably 90F.    

Next I think I will try some agar gum. 

I have experimented with agar agar as it is readily available here in Indonesia, but with no success. I have been unable to defeat the 'tearing' characteristic.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find gelatin with this being an Islamic society. The arabic gum has also been elusive.

Dave

I can order on the internet, but most companies will not deal with Indonesia because of the returns. EVERYTHING is opened and examined and a charge is levied depending on the product. This charge is usually in excess of the cost of the original product. Plus it is so much hassle, I will not support these vultures.

Dave

• Like 1

OK, I have been experimenting with various preservatives that i have for other projects like meat curing etc. The intent is to have better elongation before breaking and tear resistance.  I am no chemist, so trying to understand how this works at a molecular level is over my head. I have tried Morton Tender Quick, Borax, pink salt, sugar, and a few other semi-random things. So far, the best results have been from a simple adjustment to the recipe and sugar.

24.0grams (4 tsp) gelatin

3.0grams (½ tsp) glycerol

60ml (¼ cup) hot water

12.0grams Morton Tender Quick

I have some samples in a plastic food bag, and will monitor to see if it molds in the next couple of months.  If not, then I will see what I can do to make this nice and smelly with out loosing any of the characteristics that I have so far.

• Like 1

Hi all 

Rohit from Bombay India. Just joined the forum now. Was searching for soft plastics recipes on google and landed on this forum. Nice recipe for biodegradable soft plastic alternative. You can actually use cotton gauze  rolled up lengthwise to address the tear issue. Just an idea  

• Like 1